Sign in to follow this  
wasatchcars

Black Vinyl in the sun

I am starting to make a few 2'X4' custom sun shades that go inside the front windshield of cars out of coroplast with quite a bit of black 651 on it.

I just got to thinking it gets real hot in the summer especially inside a locked car.

I am pretty sure the coroplast will hold up but do you think the vinyl will bubble up or other bad things?

I would hate to get a bunch of calls mid summer that they are not lasting.

the 651 will shrink and expand rather quickly in direct sunlight, resulting in cracks and such.  I would say the coroplast would degrade in direct sunlight as well, to the point that it becomes brittle and cracks easily.

a lot of black will also make the heating problem worse, don't think it will bubble, might shrink though

I don't think it would be much hotter than on a metal sign in direct sunlight in the open.  Any metal gets dang hot in the summer, and the vinyl is designed to withstand that to some point.

Only thing to do is try it, if you get burned you get burned.  I think it should hold up alright though.

I think I will just go for it.

There for a local used car dealer I will just be sure to sell them as temporary signs.