Sandblaster

PCut USB Driver Ubuntu Linux

Trying to get the USB-Serial driver working in Ubuntu Linux for the FDTI USB to Serial port on my newly purchased PCut CT630.  Have downloaded the driver from the FDTI driver site 'http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm' and followed the instructions to build the driver, remove the standard module then tried to install the new module.

The driver does not compile successfully.  What do I do to make it compile successfully?  Do I need to recompile the kernel with some missing module(s) ("sources matching the current kernel to be installed on your system" from README.dat)?  Is that why there are so many make errors?

I am noticing that the make command is not finding a bunch of files, a bad link?

--------------------------

Errors during the make process:

$ make

cc1: error: /lib/modules/2.6.31-20-generic/build/include/linux/modversions.h: No such file or directory

In file included from /lib/modules/2.6.31-20-generic/build/include/linux/kernel.h:11,

from ftdi_sio.c:251:

/lib/modules/2.6.31-20-generic/build/include/linux/linkage.h:5:25: error: asm/linkage.h: No such file or directory

In file included from /lib/modules/2.6.31-20-generic/build/include/linux/kernel.h:15,

/lib/modules/2.6.31-20-generic/build/include/linux/bitops.h:17:24: error: asm/bitops.h: No such file or directory

In file included from /lib/modules/2.6.31-20-generic/build/include/linux/kernel.h:15,

tdi_sio.c: In function