Sign in to follow this  
bradner

Maybe I should print the decals I need vs vinyl cut??

My big saga of whether to buy a cutter because my work wants ~1,000 pipes labeled.  After reading for a couple more days I think printing on inkjet vinyl may be the way to go for me.  I've read and read and read here about this process.  uggg, decisions...this way I really need a small investment in a printer vs a $1000+ cutter for now?  I really want to save up for a Graphtec instead of initially getting a Copam off the bat...

I think I know what material to get (printable vinyl)...but the final step to make the decals durable as possible I'm not sure.  People refer to laminating them but it that the laminating that I would see at Staples or similar?  Is vinyl laminating a special process that I need a vinyl cutter for?

Does Frog Juice hold up well in a wet environment (factory with heat & some cleaning materials).

If I'm mainly printing 2" x 18"L decals, what printer would be a good one just for that - maybe I don't need a wide format printer then??

Thanks for any tips !

bradner

You have a few options here. Most of us started out with a value cutter and let it pay for itself as well as your potential upgrade. I have lost track of how many times my Refine 721 has paid for itself, and it's now paying for my Graphtec (which I purchased 2 days ago and should get here early next week).

If you're going to print them yourself, what printer are you using? Pigment ink is still recommended over dye ink (a printer like Epson WorkForce uses pigment ink). However, waterbased printable vinyl are more expensive than those used for solvent printers and harder to get hold of. You will need lamination, frog juice is one method, another is using cold laminating films. Also, something to keep in mind, is the thickness of the sticker important? With cut vinyl, you're looking at 2-3mil thickness, whereas wb printable vinyl is ~4mil + ~2mil for lamination.

Finally, if you would like to have them printer, you can sub in out to someone on this forum to have them print the stickers for you. No work needed and you make some money... :(

Good luck on whatever you decide on.

There are pipe labeling tapes being made out there already, unless you need specific labels unique to your situation they would be the way to go.

I am not sure you are going to be happy with a regular inkjet printing on vinyl for this application, even with frog juice or Laminate.  I would contact Fivestar or James605 about having them done on an Eco-solvent printer and see what they have that will stand up to the environment you are talking about.  both are very reasonable in pricing and great work without you having to buy a 12000 printer.  If I understand correctly what you want these are going to be in a particularly hard use environment on stainless and need to stand up over time to cleaning chemicals being sprayed on them.  You coult order some Oracal 651 samples from Oracal and see how it holds up when applied to one of the pipes

I agree with both DG and TnT.  You do not want to try using inkjet vinyls in this environment, and then have them be destroyed.  Not to mention, it is going to be very difficult to compete price-wise with the commercially available pipe-labeling tapes.

You could sub these out eco-sol printed very reasonably priced and still make money, if they need something that isn't readily available.

Whatever you decide to do, I would definitely test it out in the environment before I printed/laminated 1000+ and then determine the vinyl cannot withstand the heat or chemicals.