Sign in to follow this  
sportsnthings702

Trouble finding artwork when importing from inkscape

Hello all! I am having a bit of trouble finding my artwork when i try to import into sign blazer,it doesn't show up and i don't see it in the drop down. I tried saving it as SVG. Am i doing something wrong or missing a step?

Hi, l only have just downloaded Inkscape the other day and still only learning it myself.

I had to vectorize something for a job and had similar problems.

This is how l got it into SignBlazer.

1- Vectorized the image.

2- I created a folder (In my case l just call it "Jobs")

3- Then l went "save as eps" call the file what ever you want, then saved it in my folder called Jobs.

4- Went to SignBlazer then "file import- from my jobs folder" and double click on what you called the file.

5- Two options will pop up use the one that says "Use full postscript interpreter"

6- it's now on your workspace in SignBlazer ready to save as a SB file or whatever you want to do with it.

As l said I've only just started playing with Inkscape so someone may have an easier or better way.

Gary.

I believe Signblazer will only import vectors in .ps .eps and .ai. Give .eps a try and see if there is a difference.

Ok when i traced  it,it left 2 images one color and one black and white,but i still cant get it to open in sign blazer. I have some jpeg files on a memory stick,which will open in sbe,though some are blurry. I feel that i m close but still doing something wrong. Thanks for the help so far.

OK, if you traced your images in Inkscape sounds like your coloured one is the Bitmap, the Black and White one is the result of the trace which is the vector, delete the coloured one and export the Black and White one into SignBlazer as l described using the full postscript interpreter and it will open in SignBlazer.

Gary.

Please excuse my obvious inexperience,but im still having no luck. First off,where are you creating the folder that the image is being saved in? When i export in eps,the window that pops up gives a choice of post script 2 or 3 and when chosen nothing happens. Then when i open the import window,i see nothing but a drop down in the upper right hand corner where i have searched,but cant find the image or the named folder.

try a diffrent file type *.ps

not sure how long inkscape has had eps files in windows ver. but the linux ver its fairly new and it does some strange things at times.

not an expert but i think its something how inkscape opens and saves eps files.

is it just one image or it does it for everything you try to save

has it worked before

post the image

When you attempt to load the vector object into SignBlazer, you are clicking File > Import; correct? I ask because you've used the word open and import interchangabily in your posts and they are not the same. When in the import screen, you have selected the correct file type in the lower left of your screen, correct? Your vector object in not all white with no outline is it? Here is a simple vector object created in Inkscape and tested on SignBalzer for you to save and then attempt to import into SignBlazer... if you attempt this, perhaps you can isolate the source of your problem as either Inkscape or SignBlazer. I've been using the Inkscape eport as .EPS for several years now on a Windows XP based system without issue.

PIG.eps

PIG.eps

I just created a new folder in Windows under "My Documents" and called it "Jobs"

1- In Inkscape "File save as" give it a name then hit the drop down arrow where it says "Save as type" select eps then hit "Save"

2- A window will pop up, leave it at "Postscript level 3" and hit OK.

3- Go to SignBlazer and hit "File import" locate the my documents folder in top right hand corner and double click then double click the new folder you created and you will see the image you saved, make sure in bottom left hand corner where it says "list files of type" it says "All graphic files"

4- Double click the image and 2 options will pop up, select "Use full postscript interpreter" which is the first one.

5- The image is now on your SignBlazer work area, now just save as normal as a SignBlazer.

Gary,am now able to get the file into sign blazer,but it is a black square...no image. I have a friend that plays for Vegas Real soccer team,and wants a small banner. Here is the image.

post-7292-12986551464627_thumb.png

post-7292-12986551474597_thumb.png

G'day, l couldn't do it either.... but l think your nearly there.

Noticed it was a "png file" l have been tracing as a "jpeg"

Trace it as this file and then go through the previous steps again, l think it should work for you then.

Post a jpeg file for me and l will try it too.

Gary.

Hi again, the jpeg file wasn't a very good file,

I managed to use the png file that you posted, it worked fine.... why l couldn't get it into SignBlazer before was l found you have to delete the coloured image first for some reason then follow the procedure l outlined before.

After you hit import in SignBlazer it will show as a black box in the preview box but hit "Use full postscript interpreter" anyway and it will open in the SignBlazer work area page as the Black and White image then save it as a SignBlazer file.

It looked not too bad but you may have to play with the trace settings in Inkscape to get it a little better, l have to experiment myself but you will be able to get it into SignBlazer at least.

Gary.