Sign in to follow this  
txaggie02

I can't decide which cutter to get!

I'm new here and new to vinyl cutting.  Like most people getting into the business, I have NO IDEA which cutter to get.

Here's what I plan on doing with it:

Wall Words and Art

Car Decals

Maybe simple banners, vehicle graphics, etc. 

Stencils

Soooo.... that being said, what would be the best beginner machine?  I want to be economical now and upgrade later as my business grows.  I work full time as a teacher so I'll be doing this on the side.  I'd also like one that is portable for craft shows. 

Also, what is the best software for my purposes? 

Any and all advice is welcome!! 

The PCUT or the MH-721 are both good starter cutters. Based on other members' experience, the pcut seem to be a better built machine and there are fewer complaints about it. Not sure how portable you're looking for, but getting a cutter smaller than 24" would limit the things you can do. If you get a craft-type cutter, you'll be bound to cutting no wider than 12". I've carried a 24" around to shows, it is a little bulky, but not too difficult.

As for software, SignBlazer is free and should be able to do everything you need. Good luck and welcome to the business.

I've heard the PCut several times from a few different folks.  I just want to be sure before I make an investment.  ;D

I started with the Refine MH-721 because it was cheaper than the PCUT though ebay and it has paid for itself for in about a month. I use illustrator cs4 with signcut pluggin, makes things easier since I've known the software for years and years

I bought my P-cut 24" on from US cutter on ebay.  I am happy with it and I have already paid for it with just a few sales to my co-workers.  I am doing items similar to what you have planned.

Be patient if you have never done it before, it takes time to learn.  Make sure to read the forum there are many post that will help you through the process.

Enjoy, Shelley

Guest sciondrgn

My 36 Pcut lasted me a good solid 2 years before I upgraded to the graphtec

Thanks for this post txaggie......I am also looking to do about the same stuff and budget starting out since I had lost my job in November.

I have a question for Eli....Do you use a MAC? I have a MAC with my Illy CS3 and that is where I do all my graphics since the Art Institute. I am wondering how I can use it since there seems to be a problem I have read on the MAC user posts.

Thanks for this post txaggie......I am also looking to do about the same stuff and budget starting out since I had lost my job in November.

I have a question for Eli....Do you use a MAC? I have a MAC with my Illy CS3 and that is where I do all my graphics since the Art Institute. I am wondering how I can use it since there seems to be a problem I have read on the MAC user posts.

I have the same setup as you, except i have CS4. I use Illy to design then the pluggin for signcut. it copies it all to signcut and just edit the sizes and cut. very simple, you get a year of signcut for free when you buy a cutter from uscutters :thumbsup:

I am still running the refines.....and they have their quirks and problems and issues, but I can make some pretty good cuts with mine and they continue to pay for themselves and build my business.  I am working on saving to upgrade as we speak.  Sometimes ou get wavy cuts, sometimes you have to adjust things to get a certain decal to cut right, but I like to tinker so I do pretty well with them.

Honestly even though I like my refines, if you have the funds go with a copam right off the bat.  Its your best bet for a starter machine.  Built solid, and if you are not going to go with contour cutting in the future you may never need to upgrade.  There is a price difference, but I think the machine you get because of it is more than worth it if you can swing it.