Sign in to follow this  
kkappy

Starting my business, where do I begin?

Hello!  Does anyone know where I need to go to apply for an State Resale License # for Garment Industry?  I live in Illinois.  What all do I need to do to start my business?  I have came up with a name and business cards etc., but I want to everything "legal" and I just don't know where to begin? 

Thanks

Kim

Guest manwayvan

Hey you need to check out your secretary of state's website http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/

Here is how it works for KY

1. File EIN With IRS

2. File business structure with secretary of state

3. File structure with County Court Clerk

4. File for Resale # with state

I believe that was all I had to do..It is a lengthy process but once you find the right place on your s.o.s website it will tell you every step you need to take to file..

Also depending on where you live you may need to register for an actual Business License which is different that filing your structure with the s.o.s

Hey you need to check out your secretary of state's website http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/

Here is how it works for KY

1. File EIN With IRS

2. File business structure with secretary of state

3. File structure with County Court Clerk

4. File for Resale # with state

I believe that was all I had to do..It is a lengthy process but once you find the right place on your s.o.s website it will tell you every step you need to take to file..

Also depending on where you live you may need to register for an actual Business License which is different that filing your structure with the s.o.s

hereis a little more.

If you are a DBA or not an LLC/LLP or Corp then you probably will only need to file with the county, not he SOS. Check your city as well for a biz license.

Guest manwayvan

good point lynn it all really depends on what type of business structure you are wanting to start. However that is another discussion entirely as each have their pro's and con's.

I'm also in IL and I couldnt find anything stating that you need a resale license.  If you are talking about getting a state registration number to get accounts at places, go to http://tax.illinois.gov/Businesses/register.htm.

Note:  You will be required to submit returns quarterly showing sales tax collected.  If you collected none, just submit a 0 return.  Also, this registers you as having employees unfortunately, so you will need to call the dept of revenue and tell them that you have 0 employees, otherwise you have to submit a monthly form of some sort.  The number should be included in the documentation they send you with your registration number.

It's a huge pain in the ass and I haven't figured it all out yet, unfortunately.