Sign in to follow this  
godstrong1

walk through using vector magic!!!

hey guys i used vecto magic vectorizing tool and i vectorized my image it worked great!!! but how do i import it into inkscape and pull it up?:police: any suggestions!!!! thanks guys.

Once it is vectorized it is in a format that will not open with InkScape. It is ready to be opened with the cutting program, SignCut or SignBlazer.

i see! so can i take a colored image and take the color out to where it is black and white, if not is there any programs out there that have free trials that i can do this on,thanks!

To vectorize with SignBlazer, you have to set the image to black and white before you can vectorize it. In InkScape I think you do not, but it vectorizes in black and white....I think.

I TRIED TO PULL UP THE VETOR IMAGE IN SIGNCUT-X2, THAT I VECTORIZED IN VECTOR MAGIC WEB SIGHT. BUT I WASENT ABLE TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO PULL UP THE VECTOR IMAGE, CAN SOME ONE WALK ME THROUGH THIS PROCESS,THANKS!!!! :help:

Inkscape will vectorize in color but it stacks the color layers and generally does not produce anything cuttable without a lot of extra trimming, welding and node editing work, sometimes you can't do anything with it at all.  If possible, I try to convert the image to b&w before I trace it.

Vectormagic... I posted the original link to Vectormagic but I haven't worked with it because I have better tools to vectorize with, so I tried it out.  The eps file I vectorized and downloaded from vectormagic would not open in SignCut.  It appeared to load but no image was displayed.  I opened the eps file in CorelDraw and it looked fine, it was vectorized and editable.  I re-exported it as an eps from Corel and now it opens just fine in Signcut.  I don't know why, something in the way the eps file is saved that signcut doesn't like. 

The svg file created at vectormatic will open in inkscape.  I saved the svg file as an eps from inkscape and then it would open in signcut.

Although a cool online resource it goes back to the age old saying "garbage in, garbage out" Most images auto vectorized need additional editing and cleanup and vector magic is no different.

I am not sure what they do with eps files and some import fine in signcut and some do not. I will look into this further to try and find the exact -reason why. In the mean time Signcut-x2 supports svg files and so does corel, illustrator, inkscape and vector magic so export from vector maginc into svg and then you may edit them in whatever design program you like or open them directly in Signcut.

When ever autovectorizing (or cutting in general) it is a good idea to look at the image in wire frame prior to outputting to your plotter.

The svg file from vector magic would not open in Signcut either but it opened fine in inkscape. 

Tracing an image almost never creates something that is ready to cut unless it is an extremely simple image.  Wireframe is your friend!

The svg file from vector magic would not open in Signcut either but it opened fine in inkscape. 

Tracing an image almost never creates something that is ready to cut unless it is an extremely simple image.  Wireframe is your friend!

Need to be running SignCut X2 version 2.18 or newer to be able to open .svg files.

I am running 2.18. 

The svg file from vector magic wouldn't open in signcut.  If I open the vectormagic svg file in inkscape and then save it as an svg file, signcut opens it fine.

I'm saying that I believe that there is something in the files coming from vectormagic that signcut doesn't like.  The open fine and look good in Corel and Inkscape.  Opening them and saving them from another program seems to clear up the problem whatever it might be.  Now I was trying all of this on color images as the original poster had mentioned.  B&W images might work fine, I didn't try that.

I've used vectormagic on several images to them from .jpg to .eps format, with great success! Other than a little node editing, signblazer has imported the images, and cut them without any problems!

I would suggest you update to 2.19 for signcut, I also would like you so use the share feature in vector magic so I might take a look specificly at one of your problem files, you of course could also upload one here to the board but vector magic has a built in share feature so why not use it. By the way the test file I used was 4 colors after being vectorized and opened fine as a svg in signcut (2.19)

here it is if you woul like to try also the original jpg

gratefuldead_20070108135140.svg

post-1523-12986513874556_thumb.jpg

gratefuldead_20070108135140.svg

post-1523-12986513882737_thumb.jpg

Ok after disecting the eps file it turns out the over 150 variations of eps we support the one used by Vector Magic was not in the list, it is now, download the latest relase of Signcut-x2 v2.19 - even if you have that number we have done a slight update so you may need to download from the website instead of clicking on the get latest revision in signcut.

Vector Magic Eps files now supported although I still reccomend editing them an cleaning them up in a design package prior to cutting.

I didn't know about 2.19 so I just downloaded it before I read about your update to the update.  I guess my timing was good.  I sent the same images that I tried unsuccessfully to open earlier today through vectormagic again.  Both the eps and svg files created by vector magic opened this time.  Looks like your fix worked.  Good Job!  Not that I am going to be using vectormagic but it could help several people on the board out.  And yes, the images do really need to be cleaned up before cutting. 

www.sc-x2.com log in using your license and email ady then click on downloads. If you are running 2.18 you can simply open signcut and click help then get get current subrelease.

Good idea to jot down your settings and license number prior to doing any update.