Sign in to follow this  
juniorranger

New to graphic design and complex design - Need help here

To this day (fortunatly)most of the projects i have done have either been, Banners, Rear window lettering, just wording with shading or borders, some multi color, some not, either way they have always been pretty straight forward. And if there have been graphics they have either picked from my clip art collection or had an image that was art ready, Well life isnt always that easy.. I am really struggling lately with clients picking images from google images and I have added heat press shirts to my line up which add's the custom factor to the job even more. So with that said, My problem exist that I am not that proficient with photoshop and to be honest dont know rar from eps from png from vec files.. I know which ones to click in sign blazer to get what i need done, but every job is a huge challenge to me due to the fact that i am "re-inventing the wheel" with each job, which i get discouraged easliy and procrastinate on the jobs when it gets to that point.. Guess my questions are: What software is user friendly that most are using to get their projects out the door..?? Are most clients just choosing from clip art? (which in turn means i need to purchase more) Or are yall actually re-creating these jobs from scratch?? When a client brings a picture from google and says i want this, What do i do next..  Most of the time when i just scan it in and import to SB i get a very poor product at best.. I need help here guys, When it comes to adding graphics and custom graphics what direction do i need to go.. A photoshop for dummies book.. Or what, I am to the point of just selling it all and doing something else, i am so frustrated.. And most of my graphics on the t's are single color so that should be easier but not always so, I need a graphics 101 cliff's notes course real quick.. Please help me get a understanding of adding custom graphics..

The free Inkscape program is great for design. I suggest you go to the Inskcape section here and read/watch some of the tutorials. Inkscape will do almost anything that the expensive graphic design programs will do,and for free.

and you can also get GIMP if you wanna do some raster editing, it is the best free one out there i know of

Read, practice, read, practice and continue.  I would say i'm at the same stage as yourself TBH but thankfully the net is full of information and tutorials on everything.  Like others have said find a program you like, inkscape is free so its good, but there are others which require a bit of investment.  Learn that one program really well rather than learning 3 programs a little bit and just keep pounding away at it.

good luck

I downloaded the inkscape program and looked up a couple tutorials on youtube and man that was easy... you know i never read instructions.. you try it 9 times before you open the book.. I was making it harder than it was... Thank everyone for their help.. JW I have found out you have to start with a clean copy first and thats what i keep running in to.. It is always grainey or multi color, gotta get that behind me and i am done..

You got it right that you need to start with a good image if you are intending to get a useable trace from Inkscape.  However, in some cases, you simply cannot get a better image.  The next step is learning how to edit and move around points/nodes in Inkscape or whatever software you decide on to clean up a lousy trace from a lousy starting image.  A lot of times (in Illustrator, anyway), simply moving a few points around is the difference between a really shitty obvious trace and a very good logo.

Sounds like you are making good progress, keep it up!  Good luck.