Sign in to follow this  
helpinghand

longest cut yet, tracking and speed question

I got a job that requires 16' x 18" lettering be cut. I'm curious for those that have done large cuts like this, what speed do you cut at and how well will my roland stay straight? It's using metallic vinyl so really hate to have any mistakes. I'm nervous lol Also, does metallic need to be cut with more pressure than standard oracal vinyl? Customer already asked for some of my business cards and said he'll see if he can round up more work for me, very exciting since this past year was a real bust. Maybe this will be my year!

Heidi

Most vinyl programs will have a function such as "show me" (this is what its called in flexi).  From the cutting screen, I click the show me button, and the cutter basically runs out and the knife....while never dropping, traces the outside edge of the graphic you are cutting to show you if your graphic will fit on your vinyl.  You can run this through a couple times to make sure the vinyl is straight, and its not moving at all as the cutter goes forward and backwards.  On some of my bigger stuff, I would run it 3 or 4 times and made sure it cycled in the same spots every time, but I have a Refine so you have to be pretty careful with tracking on these machines.  I would think the roland would do just fine.

This function also makes sure all the vinyl you need is spooled off before you attempt the real cut, which is a big deal on your heavier rolls, pulling it directly off the roll will really screw up tracking.

What program are you using?  Somebody can probably let you know if there is a function like that in whatever program you are using.

only done 8' so far but no problem - the reflective will be much harder on blades that regular vinyl, have spares

Guest fivestar

I have cut that distance with my Graphtec and never had a problem, but as tlzimmerman said I use the "show me" button on flexi and it will show me exact where it will cut.

Assuming you are cutting via SB, sometimes on long runs, this is what I will do:

Set up your cutter to track as good as possible and run the full length of vinyl out and back in.

Make every 5 feet  or so of text (on the same line) a different color in SB.  Cut the first "color" and make sure it is still tracking ok.  Change which "color" you are cutting and continue doing this until you are done or the vinyl starts tracking off too badly.  If it does, you can just readjust your 0 before starting the next "color", but you will have to apply this second portion separate from the first (which, over 16', i'd assume you are doing anyway).

Thanks for the tips and help. I have both illustrator with cut studio and also Flexi available. I'll give it a shot running it thru first to make sure it tracks fine.

Most vinyl programs will have a function such as "show me" (this is what its called in flexi).  From the cutting screen, I click the show me button, and the cutter basically runs out and the knife....while never dropping, traces the outside edge of the graphic you are cutting to show you if your graphic will fit on your vinyl. 

Where do you find the Show Me function in flexi? I have 8.1v1

Learn something new everyday  :thumbsup:

Thanks

MM64  :thumbsup:

When cutting metallics I usually unroll my vinyl and let it lay flat for a while. Many metallics are on a mylar type of material that is prone to tunneling. This can cause ugly problems especially on long cuts. If tunneling does occur , it can be squeegied out before it becomes a cutting disaster

Good Luck

Pete

Guest manwayvan

The show me button for flexi is located as follows: Once you click the cut botton and the cut screen loads under the section for position you should see 3 buttons. The far right one is show me button and may be greyed out depending upon what cutter/driver you have. My pcut with original driver did not allow the show me. However I load the driver from uscutter and now I have show me(just noticed it.lol)