MrMopar64

Rasterzing

When I rasterize an item to get ready for vectorizing in Flexi Pro 8.1 I get a window for resolution. Does the resolution make a difference as far as the cut image. If so should it be high like you would print a photo say 600dpi or 75dpi like a web photo?

Still learn'n  :thumbsup:

Thanks

MM64  :thumbsup:

Well when I bring it into Flexi..... If I go to vectorize it I get a message "no bitmap to vectrize" So then I go to rasterize it and I get the message about DPI

Thanks

MM64 :thumbsup:

is it a bitmap or a jpg that you are importing into  Flexi?  If it's a jpg,  it sounds like it has to be converted to a bitmap format.  I don't have Flexi Pro  But I have Flexistarter..  At the top of your main Screen   If there a HELP?  Click it, and Help topics, if there is one.   those should be your instructions for Flexi.  

Ya off the top of my head I not sure what they are... may be JPG

So what DPI is best to make a cut image or doesn't it matter because I'm cutting it

Thanks MM64  :thumbsup:

I don't check any DPI,  if it looks like a good large  clear picture,  you can't use small  blurry pictures 

It isn't likely going to help you by selecting a higher dpi when importing a jpg, as the image is already at a specific resolution, and selecting higher isn't going to help much.

You can try up-converting it to a higher dpi (by entering a higher dpi import), but that doesn't necessarily guarantee a better trace.

Wait, why are you rasterizing an image to vectorize it?  If its raster, you don't need to rasterize it.  If it's not raster, it's vector.

Well I really can't say.

I'm one of those noob's.

I put an image in flexi go to cut/plot it says there is no cuttable area.

So I grab the vectorizeing tool and select the image and it says no bitmap to vectroize

So I rasterize it where it ask what dpi it goes from 18dpi to 600dpi I pick 300dpi and rasterize the image

Then I go back and vectorize the image and cut it

Now so far most things come out ok but I was wondering if changing the dpi up or down would change anything

For example how many times the blade moves up and down when it cuts.... say less for a lower dpi more for higher

making edges better with more or less cuts

Hope you can understand what I'm getting at

Thanks

What flexi is doing is turning your jpg into a .bmp, which is pretty dumb, actually.

Nonetheless, using a higher resolution (600 vs 300) is going to up-convert the jpg, which is likely 72, as you said, if you grabbed it from the web.  Up-conversion rarely accomplishes anything, even in the best graphic software.

Whether or not this is beneficial depends on how well flexi vectorizes.  I have never used it so I can't say.  If you up-convert an image to 300 or 400, etc, and it vectorizes better in flexi, thats good. 

If you up-convert to 300 or 600, look at the resulting vector image for clues.  The lines that should be straight should not have tons of points on them.  The sharp corners should be relatively square.  Try it out with an image at different resolutions and see what happens.

Ok I'll give it a try... And yes most of what I have I got from the internet so upping the res may not be doing much if anything.

Thanks that answers the question I was asking