Sign in to follow this  
Kelly54487

WHAT DO YOU ALL CHARGE FOR SAMPLE LAYOUTS

I have a customer I charged for a simple 1 color design Symonds Institute A Higher Place Of Learning. 12" X 24" for on there van for $135.00 for 2 panels.They wanted the word "Higher" with different affects ie. stretched out, raised to make it higher then the rest and so on. I gave them 5 sample layouts to pick from and charged them $20.00 and they feel that they shouldn't have to pay it. Do you all charge for design layouts?And if so what do you charge by hourly?# of designs etc... or is this included in the price? Any help would be appreciated.

I include "Set up fees" for everything that I do. I have a set rate I like to charge for design work. Say for shirt, i charge $15 per color on each side. So a 2 color shirt on front would have a $30 set up charge. Always charge setup, or people will start abusing and making change after change. Or state that minor changes are free but after 1 change you will be charged a one time fee. This way they see it at the beginning and cant argue about it.

You should put,

Quantity - 2

Item - 12" x 24" Panel

Price $67.50

Total $135.00

1 time Setup Fee $20

Shipping

Tax

Grand total - $155.00

Always charge setup, or people will start abusing and making change after change. Or state that minor changes are free but after 1 change you will be charged a one time fee. This way they see it at the beginning and cant argue about it.

I agree.....you can just keep going for free......

I tell them I know there time is valuable.........

and so is mind.........being a good guy is ok

but it won't pay the bills.......

I charge a design fee of $35 per hour or a flat rate of $50 depending on how difficult it is. If I know it will take 2 hours but is not super difficult I charge the $50. Otherwise its $35 per hour.

I try not to charge design or "setup fees" for vinyl work, unless its a small overall job cost.  If it's a big job, I just add the time into the total cost. 

Customers, especially rookies, hate "design" fees and will bitch about them, even though they couldn't begin to design something, much less make it cuttable, etc.

Thank you for all your replies. I was thinking to I'm not going to charge for every design more for converting logos and design work on say logos signage.