Sign in to follow this  
espy

Signcut "Freaks Out" when trying to cut

I sent a job to signcut from illustrator, and signcut processes the job and sends to the cutter, but the cutter freaks out, just cutting a bunch of garbled zigzag lines that don't even remotely resemble the job I'm cutting.  I either need to get flexi working with this cutter, or have another reliable program to use. 

Has anyone had the same problem with signcut sending info to the cutter, or is this a copam problem.  I've gotten it to cut correctly once with a small "test" cut, but when I try to process a normal job, it just cuts garbled zigzag, and doesn't cut the job that was sent from illustrator.  It's a pretty strait forward job, just text, but for some reason either signcut, or the copam is just screwing it up. 

Please help...I'm desperate here....jobs piling up, and no way to cut them!

If you're running on an lpt port,try the post I did in copam installation support.I don't understand the sending the design from illustrator?I always work the design up and open it in signcut or flexi.To me,you are taking a program that has nothing to do with cutters and sending it to a cutter.You might even try saving it as an eps instead of ai.And if it's just text,why don't you work it up in signcut?

I am experiencing a similiar issue, although when I send the artwork from signcut to the plotter it will start cutting (if it starts cutting that is) right in the middle of the project. It will cut the last 1/2 of the job fine, but wont cut the first part at all.

And Billy when you intall signcut on the PC, it will install a plugin to adobe illustrator to be able to send what you worked up into signcut to cut it. Illustrator is very related to plotting in my opinion, since it is a vector art program, which is what the plotter uses to cut from unless this setup is totally different from everything else I have worked with in the past.

I understand Illustrator is a vector program,and corel as well and many others.But it does not create the instructions to send to any cutter.If they were capable of doing cutter instruction you wouldn't have to send them to another program to cut the design.I have seen a lot of post with problems about corel or illustrator not sending the information to the cutter correctly.It's just adding another communication link to cause problems with cutting the design.Plugins are great for some,but I prefer to work up the design,save it and then open it up in signcut.It may take another step that the little bootstrap loader of the plugin eliminates.But I don't have the problems with cuttiing or waste.

Billy,

So do you save it as an .eps file, and then open it with Signcut, or how exactly do you get the design to signcut without sending it via the plugin.

I do save them in eps,and sometimes in ai.It brings it up better in ai.I have had to wait for awhile on some of the larger eps design while signcut compiles the data.And when it's compling data I can't use my computer at all or it will freeze signcut.

We have just started selling the Copam cutters, so we are not 100% up to speed on any issues that may arrise.  In addition, our suppliers are all unavailable for the two weeks of Chinese New Year, so we don't have a support channel available until next week.  I am sorry for the delay, we are working hard to get all issues resolved.

For those that are having problems, please describe:

Connection method: If parallel port, have you set the port to ECP in bios?  If serial, what port settings are you using?  Are you using the USB to serial convertor?

Source file: If you are using the export plugin, have you tried just saving to a file?  If so, which version?  Have you tried to save to Illustrator v3 format?