Sign in to follow this  
wiregems

Hello from the Great Midwest!

I'm one of those people the signmaker and t-shirt forums would snub.  As usual, I've plowed headlong into something I know nothing about.  Just got my Creation 630 and it's sitting on the table with the plastic still on it.  I messed around with a friend's Master cutter for a couple of hours and had a barrel of fun.  My use for this cutter is to cut small stencils from vinyl for sandblasting my own designs on natural stones (turquoise, onyx, carnelian, etc.) for making jewelry and also on small glass articles (antique paperweights, wine glasses, votive candle holders, etc.)  I have FlexiPro and am having fun experimenting with it trial-and-error fashion.  Learned to vector pretty quickly and learned to send to the Master cutter from Flexi.  To my total amazement, the designs actually cut the way I wanted them!  Who'da thunk?

As others have proclaimed here, my brain is a sponge - an old, crumbling sponge.  Just doesn't hold together like it used to a half a century ago and is kind of leaky, but I still have fun.  I looked through the forum and now I'm totally freaked to try to set up my cutter.  Apparently, I'm a technological hypochondriac and figure I'm going to encounter each and every problem I've read about here. 

My first issue is:  Is there some great disadvantage to using a serial port?  My computer is about 7 or 8 years old.  The only reason it is still not completely obsolete is that I bought the fastest Athlon I could afford back then.  But it only has two USB ports, one is for my cable internet connection (obviously can't give that up or you wouldn't be reading this) and the other is for my printer.  I do have a vacant serial port compatible with the serial cable that came with my cutter.  But the only installation instructions I have seen say, "First connect with the USB cable."  Does anybody out there use the serial cable for connection?  Is there anything special you have to do during installation?  Will it feed data to the cutter much more slowly or will speed be comparable to a USB connection?  I know the media polling feature in Flexi only works on devices connected through a serial port.  Not that I need that particular feature - I still remember how to use a ruler, but that could easily change tomorrow. :D

At least my version of Flexi has the driver for the Creation 630 - that's a start.

Any help would be appreciated with my first installation because right now I'm just sitting and staring at it.  And it's staring back!  Eerie!

Wiregems

Guest fivestar

Welcome to the forums and ask away with any questions as there are some of the best people on the internet here.

Welcome

My 630 does not have a serial port, I would ;just add another usb 2.0 card.

hello and welcome to our forum.  lots of great minds and info here.  let us know if you need anything.     

could you hook up a 4 port usb hub to your second usb port. that might be a cheap fix for your age old computer. anyway, take care,  daniel t

Welcome to our forums!!

Many customers use the Serial port, just use whichever port that will work. The cutter will not work through a USB hub, but you could probably use your other USB devices with a HUB, and use the other USB port on the comp. for the cutter.

:angry: