Sign in to follow this  
prettybird

What is the best kind of transfer tape to use on Oracal 631 matte vinyl

Hi, I use mostly the Oracal 631 matte vinyl and I was wondering what is the best kind of transfer tape to use on this?  I use a kind called 'Main' that they recommended down at my vinyl store but it doesn't always work that good.  It doesn't stick to the vinyl very good to pull it off the backing.  Anyone know of some that works really good this this kind of vinyl?  Thanks!

Oracal makes a special tape just for this. It is called HT55. Here is a link the their webpage. If you request a sample the usually will send you a small roll that is 6 inches wide. It is plenty to see if you like it or not. Another thing you might check is your blade pressure. If it is too high you will have the same problem no matter what type of tape you use.

http://www.oracal.com/products/product.asp?seriesID=239

Guest LoungeLover

Hi Prettybird,

Oracal 631 is a great product.  However, it's often a vinyl that many have reported issues with adhering to premask (transfer tape).  I can attest to this based on my own experience.  I too have tried Oracal's own HT-55 and even a MACtac tape.  I found that both did not work for 631.  As well, I've decreased my knife pressure when cutting 631 but oddly, it still did not help.  There has to be some oddity with this product, as too many have reported the same experiences using different vinyl cutters.

With that being said, there are two tapes I've tried recently for small cut graphics using Oracal 631 and the tape worked wonders!  Get a sample of one or both from R-Tape and determine if one will do the trick for you.

R-Tape AT60 Clear Choice Application Tape (this worked best for me with 631)

OR

R-Tape AT75 Clear Choice Application Tape

Another tip that may help too is: Pull the Oracal backing side away from the tape after your cut graphic is applied vs. pulling away the tape with the cut graphic.  Some vinyl manufacturers will tell you to use this method.

The HT55 is the recommended tape for the Oracal 631, but the USCutter clear works just as well.