CyberChuck

Just got a press

I just bought a cheap press and have a question (well, I'm sure there will be more later).

I was given some sample sheets of Siser Easyweed at the SGIA Expo in New Orleans last week. I want to jump right in and cut something, but I have no idea what the steps are. One of the exhibitors (not Siser) actually pressed a shirt for me to show me, but the vinyl he was pressing had an application tape type material on it.

All I have right now is a few sheets of Siser and a press. Can someone here give some step by step guidance to a new guy who has never pressed a shirt before?

Thanks in Advance,

Charlie

Guest manwayvan

Hey chuck which press did you go with? I need me a cheap one but also thinking bout the cheap screen printer also

I picked up one of the 4 in 1 deals on Ebay. I paid right at $300 for it. I figure it won't last, but I can use it to learn the process and make sure it's something that I can actually use.

Charlie

Guest manwayvan

I seen that one and was thinkin bout gettin one too..had free shipping so figured it wouldnt be too much of a loss. Does it seem to be crafted well enough?

Blasted thing is incredibly heavy!! Box had a weight of 75 lbs. My wife can't lift the press (but then again, she has 2 spinal fusions).

Charlie

I just found a YouTube video that shows how it's done. Now I gotta figure out the proper pressure to cut it - Easyweed is super thin.

Charlie

Chuck with heat transfer vinyl you don't use app tape. If you have Siser that's all you need to get started. You have to remember to "mirror" the image that is to be cut. I haven't used Siser brand but find out what temp/time it is to be pressed at. Five uses it and could tell you. You preheat the shirt in the press for 10 sec or so (releases moisture), place transfer design on shirt and press for allotted time, that's all there is to it. If you have kraft paper you could cover it but not a necessity. Have fun!

I'd recommend taking a look on Craigslist to see if you can find a deal on a name brand in your area.  Often see Hix, Mighty, Stahls, Hotronix, or Geo Knight presses there for under $500 that are good used presses that won't let you down.

tory,

Can you tell me what pressure you use to cut the Easyweed without cutting the backing?

Thanks,

Charlie

I have a Roland GX24, if that makes a difference, and cut Thermoflex at 150 with a new blade. I always make a test cut first to make sure it leaves a slight indentation on the mylar backing. I'm sure somewhere on this forum it says what time/temp to press it at. I know it is good vinyl /Fivestar but it isn't local to me so I use Stahl's or Imprintables products. I believe Joto sells Siser too??

The samples have informaion about the temp and time. Just nothing about how to actually apply it.

Charlie

There ya go! You prepare the design just like you'd make a decal, only make sure to mirror the design in the software. Then heat up the press, preheat garment, and press into place. I know the first time can be intimidating but it really is that easy. As long as you follow the temp/time you won't have any issues at all. The cover sheet (kraft paper) is only a necessity if you are doing more than one layer and need to cover vinyl that no longer has a mylar backing. I'm not familiar with the other cutters but if they have a test cut feature just do a test to make sure you have the proper pressure to cut through the vinyl. Thermoflex cuts at 140-170g and Econoprint cuts at 200-240g so Siser must be in that realm too?

This was on Tshirt forum - "I have always pressed at 315 degrees for 12 seconds, hot peel and have never had a problem." I also found a link for Siser at www.coastalbusiness.com which stated:EasyWeed is a Polyurethane, ready-to-cut hot peel material - Great for Poly, Cotton or Cotton/poly Blend Fabric.

Perfect for hard-to-weed designs. EasyWeed is a Polyurethane, ready-to-cut material designed for custom garment decoration. EasyWeed Cad Cut Material is in a league of its own because of its pressure sensitive carrier. This feature allows you to weed small vinyl letters and fine designs easily. Much thinner than other Cad Cut Vinyl materials, EasyWeed offers excellent durability, even after repeated washings. It's great for player names and numbers or even adding personalization to corporate wear. Because of its thinness, EasyWeed is extremely easy to cut, weed, and heat apply and is perfect for single color or multi-layered applications. This is a HOT PEEL product.

Compatible Fabrics:

100% polyester

100% cotton

All poly/cotton blends

Suggested Uses:

Two color names and numbers

Multi-color logos

Great for uniforms and work wear

Application:

# All designs must be cut in reverse

# Preheat garment in heat press at 302 - 315

I just went with the old "damn the torpedos" method. Made one trial cut. Mirrored the image. Cut it. Discovered I didn't quite cut deep enough - made Easyweeding a pain). Cranked up the press to 300. Pressed it for 15 seconds. And voila! Got me a couple of shirts with breast pocket logos to wear to work. I'll try to get some pics up tomorrow. It was a lot easier than I thought it would be.

Charlie

Good for you! It will become second nature w time. And maybe Five will see this and give you some pointers for Siser specifically.

I have never gotten to worried about the pressure, as I have an Mighty Press that doesn't have any settings.  But, IME, medium, firm, etc, are all objective.  It should never really be hard to open the press, a little pop should do it.

One way you you will know you have your pressure too high is if you have a small clear line around the vinyl, which typically means you have squeezed the adhesive out from the vinyl.

I found with Easyweed the pressure depends on the materials, but on Hanes Heavy weight shirts, and on a Chinese press, I crank it up till IT almost mashes the springs clear down, then it presses it into the fabric really nice. I set mine for 302 for about 15 secs or so. Does a nice job. Sweatshirts are a different story. You have to find that happy medium between not enough and too much pressure.

Kevin

Glad you had no problem...I have a hotronix press & I really don't have to change the pressure unless it is a very thin item. I have a MH721 cutter & cut all of my vinyl at 70 pressure.

Peggy