NukleoN

Vendor Booth: Should I bother?

Hiya!

I have some Halloween-relevant decals to sell (thanks James605) but I am wondering if I should bother setting up a booth tomorrow. It will cost me 50 bucks for the space and 50 bucks to buy a table I'd need to display the decals. I already have an EZ-UP canopy, chairs and stuff.

So, I'll be down 100 bucks before I even start...worth it or no? If I break even, I guess selling decals is a confidence booster because I basically came away even but saw firsthand the interest people will have in my product.

If I don't go I guess I'll save 100 bucks but I won't see how people react to my decals, which you can't get online.

What would you do? Opinions are welcome.

$100.00, Thats Alot of Halloween decals to sell.

Are you planning on selling at shows, if so it would be worth the investment but you have to have it setup Nice, one day prep time leaves you ALOT of work to get things in order.

I do woodturnings and talk to guys that travel and do shows with booths and Most are very sad at recent sales at these type events.

People LOOK, but not many pulling out their wallets for decorative items. Yet.

Halloween decorating is big but the printed "clings" for doors and windows are pretty darn cheap, use once and toss, buy again next year.

IF you already have a display setup and want exposure for Sign and T shirt work, try the halloween decals and pass out business cards and flyers to anyone that walks by.

Write it off as a business expence (ok Not a tax lawyer so check on that one. lol)

I don't plan on doing "shows" were I have to setup a booth, from what I hear they are pretty iffy these days, years past they were good money makers.

If I had 1/4 of your talent (let me re phrase that any talent)  my a$$ would be there.  Not just about selling decals as far as you are concerned.  You would be getting the exposure of the talented artist that you are, which could lead to bigger and better things and at the same time get out meet the public and have some fun.... ;D:thumbsup:

If I had 1/4 of your talent (let me re phrase that any talent)  my a$$ would be there.  Not just about selling decals as far as you are concerned.  You would be getting the exposure of the talented artist that you are, which could lead to bigger and better things and at the same time get out meet the public and have some fun.... ;D:thumbsup:

+1  You are amazingly talented would be worth it just for the exposure for future sales

Thanks for the kind words...I've decided to buy a small, narrow black folding table for 30 bucks and pay the 50 dollar fee to get a booth. We'll see what happens. I figured even if I sell zero decals I'll get to see what people think of this line of decals I've made for Halloween. I'm gonna hand out business cards with each sale so yeah you're right, it's good advertising.

The way I figure it, I only gotta sell 26 decals for 3 bucks each to break even, but the 26 decals sold wouldn't just be a break-even but a success for people liking the decals, which would be a confidence-builder.

I'll let ya know how it goes!

Nuke

I just did a festival booth for the first time, and I'd say go for it.  I really about broke even, didn't make much, but got a lot of exposure, saw what people wanted for some future store displays I plan on doing, and had a lot of fun. go for it!!

Vendor Booth Event Recap!

First, lemme say  a big 'thank you' for those who encouraged me to go. Your words made a difference.

I went and setup at 8:45a and stayed at the event all day. Although I got a touch of sunburn, I had an amazingly great time with some of the most down-to-Earth and friendly people.

Basically, I met all my costs (the booth cost and the price of a table I needed) and made 25 bucks on top of that. I sold only decals of my own design (which is kinda cool) and nothing from popular culture or companies (I hadn't planned on this event hehe). It's a little more risky to sell your own art I guess, but the benefit is lack of competition. The decals I sold are 'Punkinhead' decals which is a line I created for Halloween (or anytime) advertised on my site at www.monstahfish.com.

People loooooooved these stickers, though I made some mistakes with my booth (this was all last-minute). Here are the mistakes and things I did right:

Mistakes:

1. Forgot the cover of my Quick-Shade canopy...thought it was in the bag and was wrong. DUH. Stickers and sun don't mix, but thankfully I was able to store the stock in my cool backpack.

2. Didn't bring any weeding tools. Mistake! Some of the decals had small areas that I needed to weed, but thankfully the nice lady in the booth next to me provided a sharp x-acto and I had plenty of time to weed as I sat there enjoying the fair.

3. Decent but not a great display. When it comes to contour-cut decals, it's important to note that they're DECALS and not temporary tattoos. At least 4 people thought they were tattoos, so I started every conversation with 'these are decals' and explained that they were contour cut. It would have been better if I had more signage and had the decals stuck to a nice surface so people could see the end-result.

Things I did RIGHT!

1. Plastic baggies. People liked being able to put all their decals in a zip-lock plastic baggie..the kind with the little handle thingie. There was a lot of dust and this kept the decals nice and dry, and easier to carry.

2. Business cards. I have some cool see-through business cards which were a fun item in the ambient light, and worked great. I put one of these in with each order and was able to give them to those who didn't buy stickers. These came in handy for job contacts too, such as those who might need artwork for shows, websites, video games and other work.

3. Portfolio. I put all my stickers in a portfolio which displayed them nicely, but had other work in there too. This gave people ideas about other custom decals I could make, and it showed off what could be done with vinyl (Here Lies Hope, Orc vinyl decals in there). This added excitement and kept people at the booth. More people at a booth draws more people.

So yeah, I am so glad I went!! I plan to do this show every-year now and may do other shows. Just having masses of people looking at your product, and seeing their reactions is priceless! You can see any confusion people have about your product and what they like or respond to.

Also, handing out business cards to interested parties is huge, even if you lose money on actual sales. It's just another way to get the site info out there and it has a viral effect, especially if you have a cool biz card which people will hang on to. I look at the time I spent as an investment in getting the word out in the community, if nothing else, but I am just ecstatic that I at least broke even and then some, and this was from one-day. If I had done both days I could have cleared another 100+ maybe.

Anyway....there's my vendor experience. :thumbsup:

I will be doing my 14th show in 2 weeks and im still learning from them. Every show is unique in what sales and what doesnt.  But the business I have gained from some one who took my business card always out weights what i make it at the show.  Free advertising is my idea...

Congrats Dan - I think the future sales from getting known and handing out the cards will pay big dividends

If its only Halloween decals then I would say it would be a shot in the dark.  But during the summer time I'll get a vendor booth at a swap meet for $45-65 and make about $400-$800 on two days.  But thats selling all different types of decals.  I would say go for it.  Get your business out there.  If you don't make a lot of money, then at least you got a chance to hand out a couple hundred business cards. 

Good luck.

its all great PR for you and your business. so good on you for trusting yourself.........because we all trust you and your work . and to add to that your a great artist as well. so you have given me the determination to bite the bullet and try it myself as well . so thanks

pete :thumbsup:;D

to be honest i do ever biker show or ralley as i can. only once did i not make my money back at a show but in return had people call and order other stuff . you got to love drunk bikers lol

You guys are great...thanks for the words of encouragement! I am so glad I went. I plan to do this show every year now and may do others. I never really (seriously) considered this option before but now I know how fun it is.  :thumbsup: