FBRsportmod68

Embroidery set-up

wanting to set the wife up with embroidery business, what would i look to spend in doing so?? best machine, software, etc?

Thanks for your time

David

The best? Barudan or Tajima after much research. You want to make sure the machine you purchase can do caps and do them well (keep in registration). You could buy a used machine but if you don't know what to look for you are better off with a new one. A new 15 needle singlehead with the software will run about $15,000 last time I checked. Wilcom is the best software, I have Compucon and like it now that they have worked out the bugs (and they ALL have bugs), Sierra Pulse is another good one from what others say. Really do your homework or you will regret your purchase, best to check out an ISS show because you can ask many questions and actually see all the vendors in one place. Join an embroidery forum for more info to your questions. Eline is a good one and various ppl own various machines. Honestly, there is more return for your money on heatpressed garments. I suppose that depends on how you market too.

Your welcome, there's also a learning curve to go along with it too. There are cheaper machines but it's definitely one of those things where you get what you pay for. Sometimes you can find a machine w very few hrs. on it and they decide to get out of the business. Just be careful because you have no idea how it was maintained or if they ran into a hoop. They also sell them for the home market too but I wouldn't go that route myself. It is probably 1/2 the cost but doesn't sew out as well, takes longer, and won't sew larger designs. I started out with embroidery and then went into heat press and bought a cutter. Not sure if I would have done the same if I had to do it again but am grateful for the learning experience just the same.

as stated you can go cheap(home version machine) but it will be more headaches & such than you really want digitizing is a big learning curve.   The older machines have older cap technology so not really worth the trouble. if you can sell quantity to necessitate your own setup it is easier to sub it out as most MFG's will embroid cheap.  usually minimum of 100 pcs.  

Hi troy,

I started as a home based business and quickly grew to a full scale business, here I am 10 years later and still going. There are many good software packages I used  TGML from pulse micro systems you can start out with a basic lettering package and grow in steps to full digitizing. It has the benefit of outputting to any format you like and the software is vector based  so going from iilly to pulse is very easy. You can also get away with getting a free viewer like Ambassador (from pulse) http://www.pulsemicro.com, True sizer (wilcom) and many others. Nearly all Production machines come with the nessasary cotroller software , so as long as you have a DST (Tajima formated stitch file) from a good digitizer then you should be good to go. 

There are many good machines such as AMAYA, Brother, Tajima, Happy/Texmac and Barudan, but the top three are Tajima, Texmac and Barudan. Try used equipment suppliers such as http://www.equip-used.com/equipment/equipmentlist.aspx?id=1  I just saw a nice 1 head/15 needle happy for under 8K. Good luck, but stay away from the single needle sewmachine/embroidery (like babylock) unless your strickly doing small stuff and low production.  I have a friend that ran 76 pieces (God bless her) on a 1 head Renessance it took her 3 days! If anyone saw the movie Cannon Ball Run, she looked like the motor cycle rider afer the race!

A Good Luck wish: Keep your needles sharp, your hoops tight and your thread dry!

have thought about embroidery but with the cost of equipment and having several already in the area wife thinks I have enough irons in the fire now.  she also keeps mentioning I don't need a eco sol printer -- will have to keep working on her on that one

There is an unfortunate phrase in marketing called cannibalization, that's when a business buys into a product that detracts from the main focus of the business and ends up diverting (eating) profits from the business. As your wife said focus on what works, advertise that, then find those add-ons that support / enhance your main business. 

Agreed Lueman, there are only so many hours in a day. No matter how far we try to stretch them.