Sign in to follow this  
Guest kenya

For those looking for a sand blasting cabinet....

Guest kenya

I went to Harbor Freight & they had one there on sale for $119. But it really didn't look very impressive.

I went to my Tractor Supply and found a Clarke for $109 & since it was the floor model, I got them to lower the price to $89.99. They also said that it was the last Clarke that they would ever carry.

T.S. is going to start carring another brand.

Maybe anyone that is interested in one could check with your local T.S. & see if they are willing to lower the price on any remaining in the store.

BTW..... the Clarke has a light inside, the one at H.F. didn't.

Will try it out tomorrow after work. Gotta get some shirts made tonight.  :'(

post-0-1298654399728_thumb.jpg

post-0-12986544007053_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the tip, but take a look at both before you buy, I got the one from HF, no light, no electrical switch, but good size.

Went to TS to get some blasting media and saw that cabinet, looks much nicer really, but is smaller in size.

I'm getting my pressure pot from TS, they carry a brand called BlackBull or something like that.

Guest kenya

Yes, the one at T.S. is somewhat smaller, but the gun & tips seem to be a aliitle better quality and the light seems really nice for detailed work.

But yes, I would definitely compare the sizes, if you need one alittle bigger then the one at H.F. would be better suited for you. It is 18-3/8" L x 26" W x 28-3/16" H.

The Clarke is 19" H x 25" W x 19 1/2 H.

Thanks Kenya, I have a TS 10 min from me ;)

Tory, that close..... it's worth a try. Good luck.

Kenya,

I have that exact cabinet. A couple things your going to want to do.

First get a piece of screen and wrap around the wand that lays in the bottom of the trough the hole in it are big enough to let debris come through and plug your gun.

Second, Do the protective sheets that go on the inside of the window, make sure you tape all the way around them with Blue masking tape they will pop up and it will discolor your window.

Third wrap a piece of that window wrap around the flourescent light fixture in the back. The glass will get blasted fuzzy if your don't.

4th get more foam and wrap around the the entire lid. I put a piece of 1" wide self adhesive foam all the way around on top of what was already there. It kept blowing sand out the joint when under pressure.

5th Tape all the corners and the weld joins on the cab, they leak like a sieve.

6th Make sure to use a shop vac with it. It helps a ton by keeping the debris sucked out it's port. You have to clean that filter in there pretty regularly.

It does a good job for me but it could use a steeper return pit in the bottom, sometimes you have to grab the cab and shake it to get the media to sink down enough to be sucked up. It tends to pile up where ever your blasting at.

i picked mine up at a local Orshelins on sale for $75.

kevin

Ahhh...for anyone shopping Harbor Freight, they've been running one page ads in Popular Science with the 20% OFF any single item coupon, the most recent are good thru Dec, something unheard of for Harbor Freight. If you sign on to their email list they often send 15% off coupons. If one watches their sale flyers and judiciously uses the 20% off coupon they can even remarket for a small profit.

I realize clear application tape is not as thick as the clear plastic sheets that come with one of these. Just the same wondering is anyone has tried it to protect the window?

Guest kenya

Kenya,

I have that exact cabinet. A couple things your going to want to do.

First get a piece of screen and wrap around the wand that lays in the bottom of the trough the hole in it are big enough to let debris come through and plug your gun.

Second, Do the protective sheets that go on the inside of the window, make sure you tape all the way around them with Blue masking tape they will pop up and it will discolor your window.

Third wrap a piece of that window wrap around the flourescent light fixture in the back. The glass will get blasted fuzzy if your don't.

4th get more foam and wrap around the the entire lid. I put a piece of 1" wide self adhesive foam all the way around on top of what was already there. It kept blowing sand out the joint when under pressure.

5th Tape all the corners and the weld joins on the cab, they leak like a sieve.

6th Make sure to use a shop vac with it. It helps a ton by keeping the debris sucked out it's port. You have to clean that filter in there pretty regularly.

It does a good job for me but it could use a steeper return pit in the bottom, sometimes you have to grab the cab and shake it to get the media to sink down enough to be sucked up. It tends to pile up where ever your blasting at.

i picked mine up at a local Orshelins on sale for $75.

kevin

Thanks Kevin for all the tips. I can't wait to try the cabinet out.

Looking good, Kenya! Can't wait to see your first creation!  ;)

Didn't get to practice any etching after work today  :'(. But I did get by Dollar Tree & bought 10 beer mugs.  ;D

Tomorrow, I'm going to practice on some glass & mirror scraps from the shop.

I'm all caught up on my shirts. So now I get to play.  :angry:

C'mon girl, we want to see what you can create with that thing. Trying to get hubby to understand I NEED one too  ;D

Anybody think it is worth buying a cabinet with a dust collector etc ? I'm cheap , but like to buy the best bang for the buck .  ;D