Big Mike

Basics Needed To Cut Vinyl

Hi guys - okay so finalllllly I won a bid after about a million tries!

So what are the basics. I've looked all over this site and all over the internet, but since this site is dealing with the first time users, how about someone making up a FAQ (frequently asked questions) section for us newbies!

What all is needed?

Vinyl comes just as a roll of vinyl correct? So if you're cutting something out (letters for a sign) there has to be some type of backing on it so that you can apply the vinyl to the sign or window correct? What is that stuff called? What is the best type to get for basic sign (cut out text) making?

What about squeegy, roller, or 8)B)

What should I be ordering right now to get preparred to do some vinyl signs on core board for my business?

Thanks guys it's appreciated.

Mike

Cycle Riders USA

The vinyl has a silicone backing.And after you weed the vinyl ( take out the areras around the design or letter),you apply transfer tape over the top of the design.When you place the design on the coroplast,you take a hard rubber squeegee and start from the center working out on both sides using light pressure at first to set the design and work out the air bubbles.Once you have the bubbles worked out,you go back over it with the squeegee with heavier pressure to ensure the vinyl is sticking to the coroplast.The transfer tape comes in various sizes.I use mostly 24" rolls of vinyl,but I use 12" R tape transfer tape.I've even used a 2" roll of masking tape overlapping the tape untill the design was covered,but it has a higher tack than the application tape.Check your local blueprint stores for supplies.Most of them sell vinyl,transfer tape and squeegees if they sell plotters.You can buy it online all over the net.But when you add in the shipping to the price,it cuts down on your profit margins.If you're doing coroplast signage for indoors,an intermediate calandered vinly would hold up aroung 4 or 5 years,outside it would last probably less than 4.If you plan on doing vehicle graphics you would want to go with a cast vinyl.It is a lighter mill,and it's easier to work with on vehicle body contours and rivets.I also buy my coroplast at a local blueprint shop.

Hi Billy - thanks for the tips... let me ask you this.

What mil vinyl is normal for doing windows, and glass... maybe my signage out by the street (small sign prob 18" by 4' long under a shopping centers marquee). I just have no clue what to order or look into getting.

Thanks man.

Mike

On most of my window and coroplast jobs I use fdc 6 year intermediate calendered.It's a 3 mil vinyl.And even though ti says 6 years,I tell my customers that it will go at least 4 years.That way I don't catch a lot of flak if it doesn't hold up to 6.

I do not live in an area that has a blueprint shop, I looked up alot of my local vendors under "sign Supply"...

Not every shop is going to carry everything that you need.  Most shops in my area carry just basic color vinyl, You should always ask questions and see if they can order you specialty films (holographic, chrome, reflective, etc.), if thats something that you are interested in.  That way they get charged the shipping, and you dont...

Based on my experience with vinyl, I would look to ordering like Billy said, FDC vinyl... It is a high qualtiy product that is very durable and priced very well.  I've experienced with all types of vinyl, Oracal, MacTac, Avery, Etc. and find that FDC is probably the best way to go. 

The Calendared vinyl is cheaper then the cast, but calendarded vinyl works best on flat surfaces.  The Cast vinyl Conforms to curves ALOT better, but costs a little more.

FDC has a pretty big product line, and you should be able to find just about anything that you would need from there catalog...

As far as the transfer tape (application tape), There are many types.  I personally purchase the 48 inch log (cheaper that way) and have it slit to my specifications.  I have a 24 inch roll, (banners, coroplast signs, etc) and then the rest is slit to 10, 6 and 8 inches.

There are diffrent application tapes, I personally favor R-tape... I use there at-60 alot, it is a clear application tape.  I use it mostly for layering multi color graphics, I also use there standard pre-mask, as it holds the vinyl very well when removing from the backing sheet.  I do not recommend transfer rite, as its results are never consistent.  (IE too much tack on one spot, well little or no tack on the other.)

You should also look into weeding tools (tweezers, picks, small knife) as this will help in weeding the vinyl... I use a technique with a pushpin that works very well...  You will have to find out what works best for you..