Sign in to follow this  
imhzgrlnotu

New from Houston!

so ive been checking out the site for a few days, planning on going into business with a friend. i get the task of finding everything im gonna need  :)

i think i have everything down that ill need but im not sure.

i have corel draw x3, and various xactos etc from when my dad used to do model cars.

i plan on getting the 25" uscutter mh series cutter, oracal 651 vinyl, r-tape at60

now the questions lol

is there anything else ill need?

im sure ill need extra blades for the cutter, how long do those usually last (i realize this depends on how much it gets used but maybe some kind of estimate?) i also have seen something about 45 degree blades and 60 degree blades. whats the difference?

for the app tape, should i get 24" or would that mostly be for large jobs? at first i dont plan on doing anything huge, just probably smaller decals no bigger than 12x12

i saw that signblazer comes with the cutter, will that and corel draw be the only programs i need? do they work well together?

ive watched a few youtube videos and saw for 2 layer designs they make dots or something on each layer, then match them up. is there an easy way to know youre putting the dots in spots that they WILL match up? lol

ok i think thats it, sorry for all the questions  :D

jess

Guest kenya

Welcome to the forum.

You sound like your getting the materials to start.

You can also download Inkscape (it's free). This will help.

As far as tape- it's all preference. It depends if you will be doing decals or large signs. I mainly use 12" & 16". This covers everything for me.

Use the search....... you'll find all the answers to your questions from previous post. :D

Here's something you may need or not...

I purchased a rotatrim cutter for the smaller decals.

The reason being is...I used to always wander how other people got such straight cut edges

Of coarse there are othere's out there, just make sure to use one that has a circular blade.

The cutter's that are called guillotine tend to at times twist the paper.

The other thing I do is if the decal is larger than my cutter, I use the HUGE ones at Fed ex/kinko's

By going there I have also gotten some work from them as they also do vinyl cutting.