Sign in to follow this  
jbartwork

4 x 8 sign

I am going to do a sign for someone but I haven't done anything like this before. Its going to be just cut vinyl on lexon with the lights behind it. the words will be red with a dark brown trim around them, do I have to worry about overlaying it or do I have to cut around the the different things and lay each color inside the cut area as needed? If I just overlay it does that start to ruin the colors when the lights are on? any help with be very appreciated thanks

unless you use translucent vinyl, it really won't matter..on a backlit sign they will all pretty much look the same. If you DO use translucent, do not overlay.

whats the most common way to do this style of sign with just a vinyl cutter no printer? whats the most common type of vinyl used?, this is what it is supposed to be to give you a better idea of what Im talking about

post-4685-12986542682178_thumb.jpg

post-4685-1298654269023_thumb.jpg

Just apply one color at a time :thumbsup:. Depending on what the customer wants will determine your course of action. I'd imagine they will want to see a little color when it's lit up so go with a Translucent vinyl (translucent meaning it will allow light to pass thru) and make sure your layers do not overlap/overlay.

If they don't mind about the color when it's lit, you can go with standard vinyl and your background color can be solid, allowing you to lay the red on top of it without having to worry so much about alignment (at least thats the redneck way I've done it :))

Oh and by the way, that's a fun looking sign but that gray monkey down in the corner could be mistaken to be a little innapropriate... (if it's supposed to be then n/m :))

ok thanks for the help, ya at first she wanted the monkey sitting at the very bottom of the sign and I suggested that she put it up higher and this is what she liked best so I guess if thats what she wants Ill do it

ok thanks for the help, ya at first she wanted the monkey sitting at the very bottom of the sign and I suggested that she put it up higher and this is what she liked best so I guess if thats what she wants Ill do it

Yea that monkey looks very "happy"  lol Almost poke your eye out...