Sign in to follow this  
CyberChuck

Press Material Question

Okay, I keep seeing everyone talking about heat presses here. What all is needed to be able to create tshirts, mugs, hats, etc. other than the heat press? I assume some specific typ of printer. All I have right now is my PCut cutter for vinyl, but my curiosity is now picqued.

Charlie

Guess not right now. I'm playing hell storing the toys I have now. I don't need to try to store more rolls of vinyl and another machine at the moment.

Charlie

No garage here. I'm actually thinking of leasing a shop. I'm involved in entirely too many ventures to keep trying to do it from home. Computer service. Web design. Woodworking. Vinyl. Audio / Video editting. I have been using a friend of mines shop (2100 sq ft) for larger projects, but I need to get my own. Then I'll have plenty of room to expand.

Charlie

Okay, I lied. I just finished discussing it with my accountant (my wife of 15 years) and, since I have been able to earn a reasonable amount of "extra" money with my vinyl decals, I have enough of a stash put back to expand my ventures yet again.

I believe that there are a couple of different heat press methods (correct me if I am mistaken). The first being basically like I currently do with my decals (cut, layer, etc) with the difference being in the actual vinyl and the application process. I could conceivable do this with my PCut and the correct materials. The second is to print onto printable vinyl using (I believe) a printer (which I do not currently own).

What is a cheap vinyl to practice method 1 with? I know I will also have to pick up some teflon sheets. How long do these typically last when doing tshirts?

I am sure I will have many more questions once I start putting everything together.

Charlie

Guest fivestar

Okay, I lied. I just finished discussing it with my accountant (my wife of 15 years) and, since I have been able to earn a reasonable amount of "extra" money with my vinyl decals, I have enough of a stash put back to expand my ventures yet again.

I believe that there are a couple of different heat press methods (correct me if I am mistaken). The first being basically like I currently do with my decals (cut, layer, etc) with the difference being in the actual vinyl and the application process. I could conceivable do this with my PCut and the correct materials. The second is to print onto printable vinyl using (I believe) a printer (which I do not currently own).

What is a cheap vinyl to practice method 1 with? I know I will also have to pick up some teflon sheets. How long do these typically last when doing tshirts?

I am sure I will have many more questions once I start putting everything together.

Charlie

Glad you got the OK from your accountant :huh:  Yes you are correct, BUT there's is other ways to do the shirts too.  Plastisol for bigger orders (you will get bigger orders).  But for the heatpress vinyl, get you some Siser Easy Weed and some Thermoflex Plus to start out.  Siser Easy Weed is thinner so there's practically no feel but I believe Thermoflex Plus is better on things like sweatshirts and thicker materials.

As for how long it lasts, pressed correctly it'll outlast the shirt easily.  I also don't recommend layering more then 2-3 layers thick or it gets too thick and feel like a brick on your chest or back. 

Teflon sheet is not a requirement, but is very nice to have.

I actually meant - how long do the teflon sheets last. You said that I really wouldn't need them? How do you keep the vinyl from sticking to the press (the reason I thought they were necessary)?

Charlie