Sign in to follow this  
prettybird

Vinyl not staying flat/ causing printing problems

Hi, I am having a problem with my vinyl getting bumps or high spots in it.  It's not laying down completely flat - some spots bump up.  This is causing the printing to screw up because when the print head goes back and forth over the bump, it gets a big smudge.  I am using a Roland SC500 and the vinyl is Oracal Orajet 3165.  Anyone have any suggestions on how I can get it to stay flat?  Thanks!!

What should the heat be set too?  The place where I get my vinyl said I needed to turn the heat way up because this type of machine uses a lot of ink.  I was having the edges curl when the printed part goes to the edge of a sticker so they said that would help but I'm not sure that it's helped.  So what do you recommend setting the heater at?  Thanks

Break it all down for us so I can give you an exper opinion...

-Type of heat transfer material

-Type of printer printing on it

-Type of heat press

-The temp and time you are currently using to apply the material

I would love to help

Hi, thanks for responding, we are still having this issue.  We are using a Roland Soljet SC500 Printer/Cutter.  It has an aftermarket heater installed on it and we set that to 50.  I am printing on Oracal Series 3165  vinyl.  We try to make sure the vinyl is straight and flat, but when it advances forward and back, it starts to get bumps or high spots in the vinyl. Any suggestions would really be appreciated because it pretty much ruins the vinyl whenever it gets a high spot because it smudges the printing on that area.  Thanks a lot!