Print Star

BACK UP YOUR FILES

"Carbonite uses a combination of encryption techniques, similar to those used by banks, to safeguard your data. Files are encrypted twice before they leave your computer and remain encrypted on our servers, making it virtually impossible for anyone to access your files without your secret password. Users are also given the option to manage their own encryption key."

They have built and stake their reputation on it,and that's good enough for me.

Thanks for all the stories guys and gals. I am a little better today. I have unloaded the gun and put it back in the cabinet. I think i'm gonna make it! :huh:

"Carbonite uses a combination of encryption techniques, similar to those used by banks, to safeguard your data. Files are encrypted twice before they leave your computer and remain encrypted on our servers, making it virtually impossible for anyone to access your files without your secret password. Users are also given the option to manage their own encryption key."

They have built and stake their reputation on it,and that's good enough for me.

Yeah...the encryption carbinite uses is as fool proof as you get, which still isn't impervious.  But FYI...I don't put my bank or finances in the online backup for the same reason's you suggest...I back those up manually when I need to, but thats just to be double safe, if I decided to back it up I can't say I'd lose any sleep over it.  However disregarding security...for the purpose of THIS forum.....which for the most part backing up image collections and files used for cutting its gotta be the easiest way to do it and be totally safe....even external hard drives and dvd copies can be destroyed by a fire or flood....just be ready for it to take weeks to get your initial upload done if you have a very good set of graphics at all.

Like I said, an external is all that I feel is really necessary. Whether it is your external or one inside of a remote computer (which incidentally can be destroyed as well).

Charlie

I have a NAS (Network Attached Storage).  I keep all of my software, music, movies and graphics on it.  It simply connects to my wireless router and i can access it from any computer on our network.  i don't even keep files on my computer anymore.  I just mapped the drive from the computer that I use to cut, and it's all there.  Now I can sit on my couch, design something, save it to the NAS and access it from wherever I want.  I can also access it through the internet if I need to.  Like if I go on vacation, I can log into it and store the pictures I just took on it.

It has room for 2 drives.  I have a 1 TB in it now and need to get another.  Then I can set it up, push a button (or set it with a day and time) and it automatically backs up the primary drive I'm using.

I have a server in my living room that is connected to my 63" lcd tv and home theater. It is connected directly to my router which can be accessed by any computer that can access my router (with the appropriate key). I could use it for a back up, but that is my media computer. It has all of my music (700 gigs of music) and my movies (currently at 165 titles). I try not to clutter that one up much.

Charlie