loren

Pricing for small decal

I am trying to get a ballpark for what to charge customers for custom wall/window decals, when the time comes of course.  Right now, I am just getting into vinyl so I don't really have any idea what to charge. 

What would you charge for a custom decal like this one, for instance?  It's approx 4"x4", Oracal 651, would be shipped RTA.  Also, what would you charge for the same thing but larger, like 20"x20"?

img0051.jpg

Thanks!

-Loren

Here's a link to a handy calculator:  http://www.thesignexpert.com/TheSignExpert.com/Sign_Business_Free_Sign_Price_Calculators.html According to it, a 20"x20" should run around 29.50. I have used it before and I generally round up or down a dollar or so depending on the customer. I've landed every deal that I have used the calculator for.

Charlie

I checked that calulator site and it is awesome.  It said $1.85 or so for the small one.  On EBAY where I sell most of my stuff, it would go for 2.99 with maybe a $1 for shipping. 

It really makes a difference to me if I am doing 1 or 10 as it is almost the same amount of work. 

To me is has a little extra weeding as I try to keep our ebay graphics to a single pull for weeding whenever possible. 

Hope that help...please know I don't have a huge amount of experience yet but am selling several hundred items on ebay a month...

I checked that calulator site and it is awesome.  It said $1.85 or so for the small one.  On EBAY where I sell most of my stuff, it would go for 2.99 with maybe a $1 for shipping. 

It really makes a difference to me if I am doing 1 or 10 as it is almost the same amount of work. 

To me is has a little extra weeding as I try to keep our ebay graphics to a single pull for weeding whenever possible. 

Hope that help...please know I don't have a huge amount of experience yet but am selling several hundred items on ebay a month...

Wow, several hundred is quite a bit.. All decals I assume?  Do you market yourself at all, or just let eBay do the work for you?

I need to find me a decal that is easy to weed (for the purpose of mass production) and get it on Ebay. LOL. Or, I gues I could teach my children to weed them.... hmmmm. Might be onto a new cheap source of labor. LOL

Charlie

LOL! I live just outside of Baton Rouge, Louisiana - the only time it isn't hot here is January and February. Nothing like leaving the house at 6 am and it's already 85+ degrees outside with 90% humidity.

Every job here is a "sweat shop"!

Charlie

I'm a little wary of pricing programs. I've always priced my product based on my costs and the perceived quality of my product. On average it takes me 20 min to cut and weed a 1 yard sheet of 6"X6" decals I'm sure there are speed demons that can go much faster but ,really day by day I think 20min is very typical.  that's about 36 /hour at $2.00 that's just $76.00 that sounds good except material costs cut that to $70.00/hour and labor cost further cut that to $55.00  divide that by the 36 pieces that 6X6 decal is earning just $1.56. And I'm not even taking in to account mistakes & waste and setup costs. I'm sorry but I'm not working for $1.00 a decal! Especially not when I walk in to any mall and I see lines of people paying $15.00 for the same or smaller decal. we sell a premium service,  if you give it away then it's just a commodity.

I'm a little wary of pricing programs. I've always priced my product based on my costs and the perceived quality of my product. On average it takes me 20 min to cut and weed a 1 yard sheet of 6"X6" decals I'm sure there are speed demons that can go much faster but ,really day by day I think 20min is very typical.  that's about 36 /hour at $2.00 that's just $76.00 that sounds good except material costs cut that to $70.00/hour and labor cost further cut that to $55.00  divide that by the 36 pieces that 6X6 decal is earning just $1.56. And I'm not even taking in to account mistakes & waste and setup costs. I'm sorry but I'm not working for $1.00 a decal! Especially not when I walk in to any mall and I see lines of people paying $15.00 for the same or smaller decal. we sell a premium service,  if you give it away then it's just a commodity.

I think you're looking at it the wrong way.  First of all, aou have to consider when people purchase something in bulk, the price per piece goes down.  Sure, somebody might pay $15 for just one small decal, but I can assure that they would NOT pay $15 each for 36 of the exact same decal.  If you can sell somebody 36 decals at $15 each, all the power to you - but that's highly unlikely.

Second, you figured your profit per hour, after material and labor costs, to be $55.  You went on to factor in the number of decals, but why not just leave it at $55 profited per hour?  This is a fantastic number, and definitely nothing that I would complain about.  If you just worked for ONE hour a day with that kind of profit, you'd be equivalent to a full time minimum wage 40/hr/wk job.

With that being said, where's the harm in $1.56 per decal?

And, if you are performing the labor yourself (as opposed to an employee) your labor cost of $15.00 an hour is also yours.

Charlie

Hi Cyberchuck!

You  have good points but I've worked the numbers every way I could and the /piece rate give me an instant snapshot of where I am.  I've been working wholesale manufacturing for 10 years and I've seen company after company fail because they charge too little, not because they charge too much. It depends on your market and the perceived value of your product. That's why I can go to Neiman Marcus and buy a Nike polo for $150.00 or I can get the same shirt at bargain bonanza for $75.00 or I can go to 7/11 and buy a coke for $2.00 or go to Walmart and buy it for $1.00 My point is you should always value up your product, those customers that always want a bargain can always go somewhere and find it cheaper, but not necessarily better. As to employees - You are an employee of your own company - if you don't pay yourself for the work you do, then you are going to have problems determining true costs - The "profits" you are earning should be set aside to grow your business, repairs, save and to innovate (aka R&D).  If you feel you ned to give quantity discounts then I suggest try a graded % ie 1-40 0% discount, 40-80 10% discount, 50+ 20% discount, but never give a discount that leaves you within 20% of your brake-even point. Remember your profits have to carry the company through the good times and the bad times. In this industry that means every 3 years you will struggle.  If you are always at  20% above costs you won't have any reserves to survive.  Oh and just to add $1.56 is ok' but factoring the above I would have charged $1.80-$2.00 in quantity and $2.50 for small orders $.24 isn't a deal breaker.

You are very correct. And, if your market will bear the higher price, I say go for it. I have zero overhead to speak of (other than actual materials). I work out of my home. And, it is a sideline for me. If you have followed some of my other posts, you have probably noticed that I have my mitts in several sideline projects in addition to my full time employment. I guess I assumed most of us here were hobbyists.

Charlie