Renegade

DVR Card and Surveillance cameras

Anyone have any experience with or recommendations for a 4 or 8 channel DVR card or affordable cameras for day & night surveillance?  Know any good forums or websites to get info?

I installed this: http://www.homesecuritystore.com/p-946-vc-sys-4cdv-kit-dvr-surveillance-camera-system-with-19-lcd.aspx

at a friend's house about 6-8 months ago and it's worked pretty damn good.  It has a few quirks, when the IR LED's are on in the dark, very bright lights in the distance cause it to get some hazing/rings in the picture.  Also, during some very cold (<0F) nights, a few of the cameras would get hazy, I believe due to condensation on the lens because of the warmth created by the electronics and LEDs. 

How was the installation on that kit?

Looks decent enough, but because I have plenty of top end computers at my disposal I wonder if I wouldn't be ahead getting a good DVR card and getting a variety of cams that fit my specific needs.  I'm thinking like a front door cam with mic, a good led nighttime bullet for the driveway and then a scan, tilt, zoom for all over coverage, but I'm still trying to figure it all out.  Right now I'd be happy to decide on a good DVR card and one solid night cam to get started with.

How was the installation on that kit?

It's straighforward plug+play, however, the installation of all the wires was a PITA, but that depends on your situation.  We had to dig a trench and run the wires through PVC between the garage and the house..  You can get extension cords that are compatible (1 BNC+1 power) at Menards, they are the same as the Swann systems they sell.

If it was for me, I would have used a PC-based DVR card and software, Renegade.  You can monitor these remotely via the web and do all kinds of neater stuff than the hardware based DVR.  Unfortunately, my friend is not a computer guy..

If you are going to plan on using a mic, make sure your DVR card is capable.  Typically they are only BNC and power, you will need to run a separate RCA for audio.

Guest fivestar

Yes it came with some kind of DVR and TV tuner software but I just use Media Center.

All the cameras that I have seen have BNC outputs not Coax, so this is something to verify. Did that card come with software to run as a DVR?

The ebay four channel card I had included BNC to female RCA converter plugs, which was much cheaper than Rat Shack. Like everything else; I suppose there have been advances in the last two years, my experience with IR Illuminated cameras is less than desirable out beyond 20 ft.

So can anyone recommend a decent daytime/nighttime surveillance setup that allows for web access? Hopefully one that's reasonably priced  :thumbsup:

I'm getting tired of having my dogs be the door bell, and I can't see the front door when I'm working in my office  :-