Moto-X-Coatings

Layered Text

Customer wants simple text white over black.  The problem is that its offset.  I'll try to attach the image.

I am using Inkscape

I know how to create the text and create the offset that he is looking for but I want to eliminate

the black that that will be under the white so that it doesn't show through.

Any suggestions?

post-5296-12986540284502_thumb.jpg

post-5296-12986540299957_thumb.jpg

Duplicate your top text object(ctrl+D), change it's color, and move it up by hitting the up arrow on the keyboard once.  Zoom in a bunch so you can see the middle text object, select the middle text and the shadow text...then hit "Path > Difference".  This will cut out original text shape from the shadow. You can move the top text layer to see this (just remember to hit undo to put it back).  Now use the keyboard to slide the top text object back to it's original position.

I'm not sure how you would cut this, as I don't have my plotter...yet.  But I guess you would use registration marks, and cut the separate colors...and realign them using the marks.....

FYI... the only problem with doing that, is you are going to have to line up the decals perfectly against one another so that the substrate doesn't show through

FYI... the only problem with doing that, is you are going to have to line up the decals perfectly against one another so that the substrate doesn't show through

IF this were your job, would you leave the back and just overlap?

Moto,

If you use illustrator. go to object>path>divide objects below.  (EDIT:Sorry, didnt know i was in INkscape catagory)

Thanks everyone for the tips.  I used confess's approach and quickly found out what FireMalt was talking about.  It was quite a challenge to layer.  Luckily for me it was only 12" long.  2nd, 3rd and 4th attempt went much better.  Customer is happy, made 3 for him.

Moto