Sign in to follow this  
Kwelp68

Hey All, Need Some Help Deciding How to Cut This Wall Decal

Ok, so the dimensions of this tree that I need to cut and send to the customer are 60" wide by 44.5" wide.  I'm using a Refine 871.  I am going to need to tile cut the design in Signblazer.  This is my first large wall decal, so could you all help me.  The vinyl is 24" wide by 10 yards, so I can do 3 tiles if I cut it horizontally or 2 tiles if I cut it vertically.  The thing about cutting it vertically is that it will be 60" wide through the cutter.  Will the cutter be able to handle that without getting off?  Also, will it still be easy for the customer to apply it?  Thanks a ton in advance.  :lol:

[ftp=ftp://th_bonsai.jpg]th_bonsai.jpg[/ftp]

you got it right. your cutter should be fine, not enough to notice during the install.i would go with as less tiles as possible, but thats just how i am

Oh no, I didn't cut it yet.  I'm not sure if I should do it vertically with 3 tiles, or horizontally with 2 tiles?  Also, should I use all three clips to hold down the vinyl, one in the center?

i would go with 2 tiles if your comfortbale with your machine going that far, if not use 3 tiles. I would use all 3 rollers. i always use all of mine

You have an inch on both sides. I know my PCut could do that over 60" with no problem. I would go with 2 tiles and make sure to give extra to the sides you need to line up together.

That's a pretty big graphic - Looking forward to seeing it installed.

I don't know if you know this, but I thought I'd mention it. When "things" are pieced together the eye always picks out either a horizontal or vertical seam. If there is a way to cut your seams on the diagonal it won't be as noticeable.  I don't even know if it's possible as I have never had to tile or do a graphic that big. Maybe some day.  :lol: Professional wall paper hangers usually hide a seam by doing a wavy cut where 2 pieces join. But they can overlap their material and peel it back. That's being kind of picky, I know. Just my random thoughts...

Can you all give me any advice on how you line your vinyl up to get less tracking problems?  I can't really place the vinyl at the edge or very beginning of the machine because I lose a few inches as the cutter doesn't start at the very beginning.  Also, I've noticed that the clamps put little road wear marks on the vinyl I've used.  If I use all three clamps, one in the center, should I loosen it a little so it won't make these marks?  Thanks again

Can you all give me any advice on how you line your vinyl up to get less tracking problems?  I can't really place the vinyl at the edge or very beginning of the machine because I lose a few inches as the cutter doesn't start at the very beginning.  Also, I've noticed that the clamps put little road wear marks on the vinyl I've used.  If I use all three clamps, one in the center, should I loosen it a little so it won't make these marks?  Thanks again

I have a PCut. I will set the vinyl on the rollers and feed it through. Then I hold the front end of the vinyl in place and take up any slack in the vinyl by turning the vinyl on the rollers. Then I put the pinch rollers down. I turn on the cutter and take it off line. Advance the vinyl forward and back to watch and see how it tracks using the measure lines on the front of the cutter. If it tracks more than 1 or 2 -16th/s over 15 inches I will repeat the process until it tracks straight. I can cut up to 8' without any problems using this method. I only have two rollers so I'm not sure how to cure the tracks in the vinyl.

Hey, thanks for the kind comments and the help!  :angel:  I actually line my vinyl up on that warning sticker too.  I've never thought of feeding it through a few feet to see how it tracks.  That's a really good idea.  Do I take the cutter off line to do that?

Hey, thanks for the kind comments and the help!   :angel:  I actually line my vinyl up on that warning sticker too.  I've never thought of feeding it through a few feet to see how it tracks.  That's a really good idea.  Do I take the cutter off line to do that?

Yes, take the cutter offline and use the arrow buttons to move it forward and back.

That's really a great idea.  man, thank you.  It's things like this that I wouldn't have thought of that are going to save me some headaches.  Thank you.  :angel:

Sounds like you got the cutting part figured out.  The customer is going to install this?  Better go ahead and cut 2, maybe 3 of them..  :angel:

Alright, I cut the decal with no problems.  :thumbsup:  Thank you for all your help.

Now, I can't get all of the decal to adhere to Uscutter's brand clear mask.  It's a medium tack tape.  Most of the design adheres to the mask, but some of the smaller parts are not.  Can anyone tell me if there's some sort of secret to get the vinyl to adhere to the mask all the way??  I'm desperate for a solution to this.

Guest round2racing

+1

Squeegee harder. You need to be on a hard surface and push down hard.

i had trouble with the clear mask adhering to BGS vinyl. I could of drove my truck over it and it still wouldn't stick. Sticks much better to Oracal but still not as good as good ol R-tape does.

Kevin

Hey thanks for the info.  I think I'll get some R tape in the future but try to make this work for now.  Does anyone know if squeegeeing from the backside (backing side) is better?  I'm going to squeegee the hell out of it right now. 

I always have better luck squeegeeing from the front myself.  Use the hard side of the object.

Hey thanks man.  It seems that the larger parts stick and the smaller parts won't.  Has anyone used  R tape 4075 for Oracal 631?  I'm thinking of picking this up tomorrow if it will work better? 

I have had good luck with that rtape and my 631 as well as main tape......I would rather it be high tack to be sure it lifts the graphic off the tape, but then you have to be careful when removing from the wall.

I would recommend using paper tape instead of the clear. It seems to work better for me.

Hey, thanks a lot for the info.  I really really appreciate you all helping me out.  I just went ahead and ordered R Tape 4076.  I really hope this works.  I heard some good things about it for 631, but I also know it's a really high tack.  I did get the paper back, too.  :thumbsup:  Has anyone used this particular type?

Wow wow wow!  R tape 4076 high tack is the sh@#t for Oracal 631!  I just did a test cut of a 7" by 7" Bob Dlyan in tourquise vinyl with a lot of detail.  Some of the small pieces of vinyl where less than 1/4" inch maybe 1/8".  That 4076 picked it right up with no problem whatsoever and put it on the wall with no problem.  I didn't even have to squeegee that hard!  I did lower my pressure on my refine to 40 g.  In combination with the tape, it works wonders.  Just wanted to pass this info along for anyone doing wall decals with 631.

Thanks for everyone's input on this forum.  You all really do rock.