Sign in to follow this  
Icedev

Jagged lines/letters with Refine 1351

Greetings

First time poster here

Just received the Refine 1351 and I am very satisfied with the product vs price point. Does almost everything a more expensive cutter would do

I only have one problem

There is a slight jarring effect in the straight lines, for example the letters. It's not that noticeable but might put customers off.

I've tried the following to get rid of the problem

Cleaned the blade

Inspected the blade strip for bumps

Slowed down the cutting speed

Fastened the blade holder

Inspected the cutting head to see if it was on track ( it was )

Stabilized the plotter with my hands

The lines seem to be perfect when cutting horizontal but get a bit squiggly when cutting vertical

So, Any solutions for an otherwise great bang-for-the-buck plotter ?

Best regards

Icedev

2 things I have done to help or resolve this with my refine.

1....slow it down which you have done, I run mine on 12 most of the time, 8 if I need to, some stuff I can run faster, some slower, just depends.

2. Retract the blade some.....on mine if the blade is out too far and gouging into the paper it seems to make the blade stutter kinda on the curves instead of a straight cut.  If you retract the blade you may have to increase the pressure, for me less blade and more pressure has always given me better results than more blade less pressure.

What vinyl are you useing?

I think E speed and baud have to do with the data being sent over the serial cable.

I'll have to try the knife depth trick, that just might solve the problem. Thanks

I'm using Avery vinyl

Can anybody confirm what the E speed does?

Thanks in advance

Hey everybody

I've looked at the knife and it sticks about half a credit-card-thickness out of the holder, but still the jagged lines appear

Is there anything else that might be causing the problem?

The knife holder is placed in the rear holder notch and firmly fastened

Thanks in advance

mine has jagged lines as well when doing angles. really shitty as i hate to sell stuff to people that looks like  that. pretty sure there is no work around it is the quality of the machine. ive tried changing blade depth, speed and pressure and i still get it.

Guess I am just lucky then, I have always been able to adjust settings and make mine go away.  I hardly EVER get them at speed 12 or below....and if I do if I pull back the blade and up the pressure, they go away completely.

Hope you guys can find what works on your own machines.

Thomas

.... I hardly EVER get them at speed 12 or below....and if I do if I pull back the blade and up the pressure, they go away completely....

+1

I run mine with the blade barely visible, pressure @110g on calendered (651) - speed 12"/sec.  This cutter should be able to cut accurately  :angel:

.... I hardly EVER get them at speed 12 or below....and if I do if I pull back the blade and up the pressure, they go away completely....

+1

I run mine with the blade barely visible, pressure @110g on calendered (651) - speed 12"/sec.  This cutter should be able to cut accurately  :angel:

I'll try to use your settings next time trying to fix this. What is your definition of barely visible...is it just the tip peeking out of the holder?

Thanks

When I say barely...i mean BARELY......sometimes Im not sure how it cuts the vinyl barely....but it does :thumbsup:.

When I say barely...i mean BARELY......sometimes Im not sure how it cuts the vinyl barely....but it does :thumbsup:.

+1

I have something of the same problem on my MH721 - it works just great on most letters, but on things like P's and Q's (have to mind my p's and q's) it leaves a .. gap. Like on an "O" on the left side of the letter where the cuts meet, the top bar of the O is wider than the bottom bar - so they don't quite meet, making it a challenge to weed.

I've adjusted the cutter to be "barely visible" and fiddled with the pressure - none of it seems to really make much difference. It weeds just fine on everything else except the letters where the cuts have to line up correctly, like P, Q, O and the like. And things like the tail of the S, it doesn't line up and that bonds the S to the vinyl - always have to cut it lose.

Am I just expecting too much? I've only been playing with this for about 48 hours...

Vic

Is that in software, or something from the front panel? I don't seem to have any software controls, I think I may be using the wrong driver. Any chance there's a manual for this cutter floating around someplace?

Vic

MH721 cutter, I downloaded the Rainbow CUT OK program which cuts ok. At least from Corel X4/WinXP. It's not got any settings though, at least none of any particular value. It's sole virtue is that it .. well .. cuts ok.

I'm printing straight serial, but I'm more than happy to change to Parallel or USB if I could find a better driver.

I bought the cutter used, so I have no software, manuals or anything else except a truly bodacious supply of vinyl.

And .. I've never cut anything before - until now. But I kinda like it.

Um .. one stupid question to add .. when you look at the blade, it's angled but I don't see any pointer or anything that says "point it this way" or "install it that way". It seems to me that should make a difference too? But maybe not since it has to go in all directions anyhow.

Vic

Blade direction doesn't matter...it rotates freely within the holder so it spins as it needs to. 

You should be able to find SignBlazer Elements fully functional trial on here in the forums, just run a search, I would install and use it....great program to design and cut from and the trial never expires.  The makers of the software to my understanding are also no longer around.  It has an offset adjustment.

Just a heads up.

I fixed the problem. The problem was that the blade was sticking too much out of the blade-holder. After placing the blade further into the holder so the blade is barely visible ( Half the thickness of your nail :thumbsup: )

No more jagged lines and very satisfied with the product overall