g

What do I do with the screens?

If I'm screening with vinyl and I have a screen that I will need to used periodically throughout the next few years. so my question is, after using the screen once,:

1.)how do I clean out the screen if I'm using vinyl?

2.) After I clean it out, can I store the screen or will it unstretch itself?

3.) How long will I be able to use them before having to replace them?

Thank you guys for you help! I wouldn't have gotten anywhere without you guys!

Does anyone know where to get good frames for the screens??

You should get that screen coated with emulsion instead of vinyl if you know for sure that you are gonna use it in the future.

I've read somewhere that if you plan to store a coated screen for a long period of time is better to add some hardener to the emulsion, it will help a lot.

Try to get in touch with you local screen printer or find someone that can coat it for you, pay once and keep it forever.  :thumbsup:

Plastisol or waterbase ? if its plastisol ink ,remove the vinyl and clean each time. If its waterbase ink just wash with water and dry. If your design has sharp or thin elements, it might not survive too long of a storage period.

1. Pull the vinyl off and clean the ink off with mineral spirits if you don't have any plastisol ink wash.

2. You can store the screen for a very long time, it will not unstretch without being used.

3. You will be able to use them many, many times.  Really, the only reason to remove and replace mesh is because it has been stretched through repeated use or you screw up and lock the emulsion in.

Awesome screens:  http://www.rhinotoughgraphics.com/

Are you buying pre-stretched or stretching your own?

Plastisol or waterbase ? if its plastisol ink ,remove the vinyl and clean each time. If its waterbase ink just wash with water and dry. If your design has sharp or thin elements, it might not survive too long of a storage period.

What's the difference between the two inks? Does one last longer than the other or what?? I'll be doing all my screening on the back of white martial art uniforms.

1. Pull the vinyl off and clean the ink off with mineral spirits if you don't have any plastisol ink wash.

2. You can store the screen for a very long time, it will not unstretch without being used.

3. You will be able to use them many, many times.  Really, the only reason to remove and replace mesh is because it has been stretched through repeated use or you screw up and lock the emulsion in.

Awesome screens:  http://www.rhinotoughgraphics.com/

Are you buying pre-stretched or stretching your own?

I didn't even know there was an option for pre-streched and strechimg your own. Is it hard to strech your own? Do I need anything special to strech it myself? I'm completly new to the screening world. 

I can tell you I have a four station press. Some squeegies. Some ink(not sure what kind) and what I think is the box to burn your screens(I'll post some pics of it tomorrow).

Do I need anything else?

Oh yeah and before I forget. Thanks for your help midwaste and bungie pilot and wwpro!

I use capillary film on my screens.  It adheres to the screen with water, let it dry, and it is ready for the image to be burned.  Lasts for thousands of squeegee pulls. 

If ya got all that stuff

1.  I would order aluminum screens from Midwaste's supplier link . (110 - 140 range mesh should be ok on whites with unless your design has super detail )

2.  Try putting a small amount of your inks in water and see if they disolve, if so its waterbase......if not it's plastisol ( I would start with waterbase ink , works with vinyl  made stencils and clean up is 10 times easer)

3. If you have the exposure unit Markp's suggestion for cap film is a good one

I have newman retentionable frames....didn't know how important having good tention was.... bought a tension meter ....... WOW night and day

Your inks should be labeled.  Also you will need someway to cure your ink either with a flash unit or conveyor dryer if using plastisol.  Nice tight screens make all the difference in the world.  :thumbsup:

Good luck!

Does it matter which ink I use?? (plastisol or waterbased)

Whats the difference between the two??

From what I know... I acually got out of screenprinting. My customers love vinyl. The compliments that I get are 100 times more than that of screenprinting. Plastisol Inks require you to flash dry them. They have to cure (HEAT). If you want to store your screens after you used them once with vinyl.I would just reclaim your screens .....it is so easy to apply vinyl to them why hassle with trying to save them. When you want to use it again just cut and apply. It can be any color vinyl. (We all know we have that color sitting around that we never use)

If you want a great supplier check out www.atlasscreensupply.com They are the best. Even if you are a newbie just call them up and explain your situation. They are kind and friendly and very helpful. You can get a 110 mesh screen aluminum for like 14-19 bucks.

:thumbsup: DOWN