Sign in to follow this  
Guest manwayvan

Extremely New to cutting and in need of advice

Guest manwayvan

Hello everyone great forum... I am looking into purchasing a cutter on the cheap to possibly make a little bit of money since no one around here is doing this. I understand that there has to be a fine line between cheap and good and want to get the best for my money. I would like to spend less than 300 on everything. I would also want something small since I have very little room so possibly a desktop cutter. Any advice. I am going to start out cutting window stickers then hopefully be able to save up for a contour cutter over around 24 to 30 inches to do vehicles. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

I am new also. I bought a used PCut and love it. It is a 24" but I found the room. I will be looking also for a contour cutter and many other things. This is a very addictive "hobby" at least that is what it was going to be.

Dave

I started with a 30" cutter and no regrets,  I have had by business for 3 years now, doing primarily full side vehicle graphics and stripes and I have never had a need to do anything larger than  29"W x any length....I am very comfortable with what I have and am able to get some great deals on 30" vinyl also, I also purchase 24x 50 yds.  I do not see me getting a cutter any larger...I am very happy with what I do have which is a Graphtec FC7000MK2-75  With the great tracking and extra business I was able to do...It paid for it's self in under 2 months.

I know it is a little up front cost. But we bought the CoPam for $760.00 to the door. We are not in the sign business. We have added signs to my business. We made our money back (net profit) PLUS in 1 month (4 weeks). That is doing some small stuff for customers. I did buy other things to go with the cutter. I spent about $1300.00 total. That includes vinyl and tools. It is the best money we have spent in the 11 years we have been in business.

Guest Schramm

If you want it for less then $300 IMO you are asking for dissapointment.  Try craigslist as I dont know anyone that sells them with everything you need for under $300.

its an expensive hobby/whatever. It will cost a lot to start.

1. cutter

2. computer

3. photoshop/adobe illustrator(illustrator is a must have)

4. vinyl

5. app tape

6. tools

7. SPACE

8. cutting table (weed and apply app tape)

9.time...time..time...time. learning..time..frustration..more time

You will go through a lot of vinyl practicing

To do under $300? Probably not.

Maybe get a pcut 630 for $300-400 but thats just the cutter.

Good luck tho