Sign in to follow this  
sharbold

Serial Connection Question

I am hoping to order a 24" Pcut within the next two weeks. I am planning on setting up my cutter in an adjacent room to where my computer will be. Has anyone used an Ethernet to RS232 adapter to connect their cutter via a network? Any reason this will not work? Here is the unit I am planning on using.

http://www.industrialethernet.com/net232-dte.html

Thanks

Sam

Never used that type of connection, but curious to see it work or not.

On the other hand it would be more convenient to have the pc near the cutter to have control over what is happening in my humble opinion.

Or are you traning to loose weigth? :-)

Paco

Paco

Yes I agree it would be nice to have the computer next to the cutter. I will be using the cutter as a hobby for cutting graphics to use on radio controlled airplanes that I build. I don't have a computer in that room and believe it or not, I don't own a laptop! So I was thinking of running a network line from my home office to the airplane room to run the cutter. No I don't have room in the office for the cutter, I had to use a shoe horn to get my Design jet plotter into the office.

Sam

I am hoping to order a 24" Pcut within the next two weeks. I am planning on setting up my cutter in an adjacent room to where my computer will be. Has anyone used an Ethernet to RS232 adapter to connect their cutter via a network? Any reason this will not work? Here is the unit I am planning on using.

http://www.industrialethernet.com/net232-dte.html

Thanks

Sam

I don't have experience with that particular unit, but I recently hooked up a Digi SP One to my Refine MH1351 and it works great!  - Took about 5 minutes to assign a static IP, set the Digi SP One serial port to automatically follow the virtual PC port settings, install the Digi Realport (COM Re-director) software on my PCs, and start cutting again...  From any PC in the shop, including my laptop which does not have a physical RS232 port!  The Digi SP One is about $150.00 from CDW.  The included Realport software creates a virtual COM port on your PC which you select in your cutting software and configure just like a regular COM port, and off you go.  (the virtual COM port redirects the Cut Job over the network to the Digi)

The bad news is that while there is hardware that will do what you want, you really need to be by the cutter when cutting.  So, +4 on that aspect.

Hey Sam , I have a stand for my Co-Pam & roll it in when I use it . Maybe getting a stand or adapting 1 would be easier :thumbsup:

Understand your PC problem.

For every solution there is a new problem.

BTW I do modelcar decal wraps (and more).

Paco

Thanks to everyone for your input. After reading them all I have decided to make room in the office for the cutter. I have just finished cutting 24" off the wife's desk ;D with that 24" and moving the Designjet against the wall with get me about 48" for the vinyl cutter. If you don't hear from me after this post you will know my wife did not take loosing the desk space very well :thumbsup:

Sam

Smart move Sharbold, The cutter I mean not the desk---> dumb move Sharbold Dumb Move. Never torque the wife off without prior written and notarized approval that has been Video Documented by a supreme court judge. Then Duplicated and one copy stored in the national archives for reference at your trial.

But PC next to cutter is the only way to roll. You will inevitably get in a a hurry and send your 6" x 20" graphic to the cutter sideways. If your right there you can see the weed box running the length of the roll and maybe stop it. Or you'll be cutting a series of Shirt transfers and forget to click the mirror button. By the time you walk into the other room you've blown $20 on a useless piece of Heat transfer vinyl that say E1 instead of 13. Or the vinyl will snag and you'll wonder what that tearing sound is as your machine wads up 20' of 751 in an inch long Chinese fan.

Good move.

Kevin