Sign in to follow this  
jlbounds

trouble with refine 50 inch plotter

have had nothing but trouble with it since i have gotten it, when i first got it it would cute but it would skip abou thalf the data sent to plotter and also cut lines al through it then it worked perfect out of nowhere for 5 or 6 jobs so i figured wht the hell must be ok now and now it is doing same thing i have wasted to much material with this thing any ideas wht it may be anyone ... if there is no fix then im prob gonna send it back

yes usb connection  thts the only type of connection i have on my cpu, dont know much about computers can that effect it?

but my roland cm 24 works fine with my usb connection just figured i would use my refine newer might as well wear somthing cheaper out lol

Do you have a desktop or laptop computer you are hooking the Refine up to?

what and how do you ground it??....i mean i know what grounded is i use to work in the electrical field.but i would figure it would be grounded through the power cable that not so?

For about $5-10 you can add a 9-pin PCI Serial card to your desktop to give you a 9-pin Serial port to use instead of the USB. Much more stable connection method.

why is there usb so unstable is there a certain reason?? i used a mimaki for a few years at my old job n all we used was usb with no prob is it just the way there stuff is designsed to run off of serial ports?

Well, some of them work fine on USB, and some work better on Serial. The MH series of vinyl cutters are loud and vibrate a lot when cutting, as opposed to the higher end vinyl cutters, and the USB connection can easily be rattled enough to drop the connection, so some people tape the USB cable up along side the unit to avoid this. The alternative would be to use the Serial cable, which can be screwed in to the port on both ends, making it a more stable connection.

I was having problems with my LP24 cutting about half a design and then shooting all the way one side, slicing a line straight through the middle of the design.

Static turned out to be the problem, as I have not had a problem since I put this ground wire on.  The machine does ground through the plug, however, the stand doesn't have a good connection to the ground, and this is where all the static builds up from the vinyl rolling.  There were a few times when it shocked me really good, I measured 40+ volts with a meter until I added the wire.

2uqn69t.jpg

I was having problems with my LP24 cutting about half a design and then shooting all the way one side, slicing a line straight through the middle of the design.

Static turned out to be the problem, as I have not had a problem since I put this ground wire on.   The machine does ground through the plug, however, the stand doesn't have a good connection to the ground, and this is where all the static builds up from the vinyl rolling.  There were a few times when it shocked me really good, I measured 40+ volts with a meter until I added the wire.

2uqn69t.jpg

;D