Sign in to follow this  
badbrad2007

Is this a descent Heat Press?

I've decided I want to start experimenting with T-shirt transfers, now i just need to find a descent heat press. I'm under the impression i should be able to get a descent one for $250 or so. How about this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-energy-efficient-T-shirt-Heat-Press-15x15-Discount_W0QQitemZ220425769301QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3352665155&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A1|66%3A2|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A2|294%3A50

Or should I stick with a brand name? What are some good names to watch for? Thanks!!!!

Looks like a decent press, but you can't tell how well it will hold up.  Basically, the same goes for all ebay Chinese presses.  People will tell you don't buy them, they're garbage, they'll never last, uneven heat, etc.  But, on the other hand, there's tons of people that have bought SUNie and similar presses for around the same price and they work great.

It's somewhat of a gamble, but the auction says they offer warranty work, and for $239 and free shipping, I'd buy it.  If nothing else, you will learn how to use it, get some jobs and be able to afford a Stahls, Hotronix, Hix, etc.

While I agree with midwaste....I think I have decided on buying the Sekei/sunie heat press from Sunie or Proworld Inc.  Seems alot of people have good luck with them, and its not much more than that press you show there on ebay.  I am all for taking chance on the chinese stuff, but I ilke to hear about others experiences as well and most people seem to be positive with that.

T-shirt forums has quite a few write ups on it if you take a look.

Yeah, my post was confusing, I know the sekei is a chinese press that is lower quality, but at least it has a good reputation was what I was trying to say.

I admit that if I was going to cheap out and not get a brand name, that I would likely get a Sunie because of so many good reports.  The problem I have is that so many of those people go on to buy better presses for some reason.  If the Sunie is so good and cheap, then why don't they just get another one?  Having two presses is something I would strongly recommend, but if I was going to get by on one for a while before I got a second one, I would want that to be one that has a solid reputation/warranty behind it.  Then I might be willing to experiment with the Sunie as a backup. 

I actually went the other way when I bought my press.  I wanted the best with the most features because I knew I didn't know what I was doing and wanted a press that would help me out.  So, I bought the Hotronix STX 20 16x20 Auto Clam with digital pressure & dual digital timers, along with the auto open feature.  I don't regret buying it as its a great press and knowing what the pressure setting was when I first started was a good enough reason for me to have it.  Now, that I know what I'm doing, I don't really have the need for all of those bells and whistles so much.  When I bought my second press, I didn't buy a cheaper one.  I took all of the money I made from my first one and bought and even better press at even more money than the first.  I bought the $2000 Hix CLE-2400 splitter and now the Hotronix hardly ever gets used unless we are running 2 or more presses at a show.

I guess what I'm saying is that if you are serious about your business, then why would you cheap out on your main tool.  Granted you don't really need a $1000+ press for your first press, but a good solid used brand name for $250-$350+ or even a new Mighty press in the $600 range will get you going and give you something reliable that will still have some resale value if you find out you are in the wrong business.  I think I would worry all the time what I was missing out on if I bought a cheap press and would always second guess that my problems were press related instead of knowing I needed to change my technique.

Renegade I completely understand where you were coming from.....and if I had the extra money right now to put into a better press I would, but bottom line is that I don't.  I have 2 options, buy a cheaper press now and get into the apparel side of things, or continue to save up slowly as I continue to dump money back into building my business and maybe buy a more expensive press next year.  This is not my full time business, and my outlook would probably be different if it was, but this is a side business that I am building slowly and hopefully someday I will be equipped to do this full time.  I have taken pretty much a $500 initial investment, got my money back and invested back in the business over and over to make it grow so far.  I did it with a refine cutter, which can do probably about 90% of what a more expensive copam or graphtech can do.  Yes I am saving up for the more expensive units, but my option at the time was go for it with cheaper stuff and build towards something, or just keep saving for a whole lot longer.  I face this same decision now with a heat press, and that sunie/sekei press will do pretty much everything the more expensive presses will.  Yes its going to have a steeper learning curve, and probably be more tempermental, but I think my affinity for fine tuning and figuring things out can overcome that and I will be able to do pretty much everything a more expensive press can do for alot cheaper and get in now and start growing instead of saving.

Bottom line, if I had more money to invest in it yeah I would go with a higher end cutter/heat press, but buying a house, putting my wife through nursing school, and planning to start a family makes things on a tight budget around here, so if I can get into a new part of the business for cheaper and do the same things why not?  The cheaper press will buy me a more expensive one by the time its 3 year warranty is done I am sure of that, and thats really all I ask that it does.  Allow me to get involved in a portion of the business, get experienced, gain supplies and a customer base and save up for a more expensive unit, all while making me a little cash on the side at the same time.

Guest fivestar

I agree tlzimmerman, I orginally bought a "chinese made" press and it made me alot of $$$$$.....but I can say there is no comparison between it and my Mighty Press, my Mighty Press is built like a tank to where my "chinese press" was made of tin.  They both do the exact same thing, but I do worry one bit about sending something out the door now to where when I had my "chinese press" I was worried it was pressing correctly becuase the vinyl just didn't seem right on it.

I've only had problems with returns though when I used that junk ass Spectra Cut II from Imprintable, but I was always worried when I used my chinese press.  It lasted me a little over a yr then pooped itself.  It made me enough $$$$$ that I paid cash for my Mighty Press though.  So I say, go for the SunIE and you should make enough $$$$$ to buy another press when/if time comes.

thanks for the input! Not sure what I'm going to do yet, probably go with a cheaper one to start out with, just to make sure it's something I want to get in too..  Anybody have any experience with one of those fancy 4 in 1's or 6 in 1 jobs?? it's probably pretty cheap quality since its only about $4-600 for something like that..

I've had good luck with the Sunie so far . . .if it goes or I find a great deal then it will be a Mighty Press or other brand name

Ok, so i took a look at the SunIE's and I can get one for $299 plus $54 shipping...

http://www.sunie.com/store/sunie_viewItem.asp?idProduct=3440

of course that come with a three year warranty.. ;D

OR, I was looking at the cheapest heat press on USCutters website..

http://www.uscutter.com/Economy-Large-Flat-Heat-Press-15-x-15-inch_p_86.html 

That one is $289, and then $10 shipping ;D ;D

So, I think i've narrowed it down to these two, which one should I go for??

Thanks for bringing this up, i am in the same position you are in, trying to find an ok press for a business that i do part time but want to expand into.  so since most folks like the sunie and or have had good exp. with this unit, I think i will also purchase this unit to start off with.

If you are just starting out and have limited funds, get the press from ebay...or get a sunie. I bought a 16x24 press on ebay for less than 300 total for the press and shipping. Have had it for 8 months and it works fine. The temperature is dead on over the entire platen and my work turns out great. The sunie was out of stock when I wanted the 16x24 so I went with the ebay one. I say run the chinese press until it dies, and by then you will have made enough to buy any heat press you want.