Sign in to follow this  
bernabe

Distortion on Cuts

Hello All,

Newbie here... I'm cutting a sheet of letters about 24 inches long, on a 15" wide roll.  There are about 11 lines of text.  My cutter is starting the cutting from left to right, but at some point half way down the project it' starts deforming or distorting my letters.  I have a feeling it may have to do with the speed, I'm using Oracal vinyl at 100g & 24in/s.  It didn't happened with Avery so, I'm worried I threw away my money on this roll.  A little help, please!!!

Gama

PS:  I even change my blade just in case.  How long does a blade usually last?

Welcome to our forums!!

Blade life depends on the material you cut and how often you cut. Some customers have been using the same blade for 7-8 months, and some change them every 1-2 months.

Make sure you have the blade holder in the back position and that the carriage is sitting ON the tracks and not in front of the tracks.

100 g sounds a little heavy for that vinyl, Try cutting it at the lowest possible pressure settings to see if that helps stop the distortion.. Also make sure your pressure rollers aren't at the joints of the metal rollers...

Guest sciondrgn

Welcome to our forums!!

Blade life depends on the material you cut and how often you cut. Some customers have been using the same blade for 7-8 months, and some change them every 1-2 months.

Make sure you have the blade holder in the back position and that the carriage is sitting ON the tracks and not in front of the tracks.

Question.. is this is the same for the PCUT model with the blade going in the back most slot.. I just now noticed that there are two holes and mine is in the front and it seems to be cutting fine, the pressure is set up higher then what you guys are saying.. I tried moving it to the back and setting the blade holder down in the rear slot the cap sits on the vinyl and I cant even move the vinyl or cutter when sitting in the back.. It makes since looking at it so the blade is on the plastic strip instead of on the little ruler x-x...

Its been cutting fine like that though.... x-x

100 g sounds a little heavy for that vinyl, Try cutting it at the lowest possible pressure settings to see if that helps stop the distortion.. Also make sure your pressure rollers aren't at the joints of the metal rollers...

Thank you all for you quick responses.  I was cutting at 60g with the Avery but after maybe 20 feet of cuts it stop cutting nicely, so I up the force.  I have the blade on the back position, and the tracks are ok.  Could it be the speed?  (24 in/s - right now)

You could also try different speeds to see if it improves, and different pressure settings to fine tune the cutter.

The Creation blade holder goes in the back position as well so it is cutting over the plastic strip, but if the front is working good for you, then I do not think it would harm anything to continue using the front.

Guest sciondrgn

You could also try different speeds to see if it improves, and different pressure settings to fine tune the cutter.

The Creation blade holder goes in the back position as well so it is cutting over the plastic strip, but if the front is working good for you, then I do not think it would harm anything to continue using the front.

I just want to make sure I dont damage the blades or motor.. I didnt even realize it was cutting on top of that metal ruler.

When the cutter was in the front I had the blade holder fully seated and tightened down but I had to set pressure for around 145 to get it to make clean cuts. the default 100 of the machine was barely marking the vinyl.

I moved the holder to the rear slot I am unable to seat the blade holder completely in, The blade holder rests completely on the plastic strip in this fasion and it cannot move. I have to raise it up about a mm in order to make room for it to move and to slide vinyl underneath and the pressure was around 97 and it was cutting ok with Avery A4.. I may try 100 tonigt to see if it cuts a little cleaner..