Sign in to follow this  
sprinter#5

Need Advice! Wish to open a store...

Hi everyone,

My name is John Hopkins (aka Sprinter#5 because I raced Sprint Cars & will again if things work out), I live just outside of Chico, California (Cal State Chico & Butte Community College are real close by).

I own a USCutter Laser Point 48" with Sign Blazer Elements & Adobe Illustrator CS. I have a BGS Starter Pack & Basic application tools. The problem is, I have no income, no savings, no money at all! My usual trade skill is not in demand here (Union Welder).

I wonder if you guys & gals have some suggestions for me on how I can turn what I have into a business? My credit is not real good (low 600's). I really need to turn this thing into a business that will support my wife & I (no kids).

I realize that my biggest problem is lack of startup capital & I was hoping that someone, somewhere would be willing to advise me on how to acquire the necessary capital with my current situation.

I also would welcome a mentor to this purpose if one were available.

Any and all suggestions that are constructive will be greatly appreciated.

I am just a man trying to support his wife & himself.

Thanks for helping.

Sincerely,

John D. Hopkins

You could always try the US Small Business Administration.They do small business loans.

I started my buisness with a $1000 loan from my brother so family members might be asked. All they can do is say no.

You already have the cutter,the software,etc. Buy your supplies as you go,work out of your home,until you save back enough to open a storefront. IT takes less to get started than you think. When I started I bought my vinyl by the foot. Since I always got a deposit up front, my supplies were already paid for.

I would work on getting some business lined up before you worry about getting a store.   You can also try talking to a bank locally about getting a small business loan (around 1K or so).  You are going to need some working capital at first to order supplies.   Like John says, I used to get 50% down at first, but when you get some bigger clients, this is a hassle and can look unprofessional.

Scrape together as much money as you can and buy some coroplast signs.  Make some signs up for vinyl signs/car decals/etc, put em on the corners. 

Get some cheap business cards and hit the pavement.  Hit the strip malls or whatever that have no vinyl on the doors/windows, print some samples off the web and show them what they are missing.  Same for banners.

There has to be tons of landscaping businesses around you.  Hit them up wherever you can, tell them the benefits of putting a sign advertising at the properties they take care of, and sell em some coroplast signs.  While you are there, sell some magnets or vinyl for the trucks/trailers.

Use the downtime to learn as much as you can and try different things.  Wallwords, etching, multi-color registration decals, tiles, glass blocks, etc.

Good luck!  You can do it.

Edit: Forgot to mention posting on local Craigslists and free classified sites.  You will get mixed results, but it can't hurt to try.

I'm not making a living of this, not even close but I like the idea of having a "side business" to ramp up if need be.

Sounds like you have a little vinyl.  For some practice, and to get your company out there you could print up a few  of these

CalStateChico.gif

and give them away with your business card to local businesses?  You can get some pretty cheap business cards to start out (do a seach here for business cards).

I think banners and store fronts are the quickest way to make some decent money.  I've done a few banners and they have some decent profit margins.  Store fronts seem to be good to, but I haven't done any of those yet.

Most of my actual stuff though the "business" has come from the business my friends and family work at.  My wife works for an apartment business (banners and bandit signs), someone who works with my wife, her husband wanted some shirts for thier school, and my biggest jobs so far have been through my BIL's company for six sigma labels.  They were paying $30 each for a 36"x4" white vinyl sign with one line of text in black!  Needless to say they jumped at it when I told him I'd do it for $20 a sign ;)

Talk to folks you know and say "yeah I can do that" you'd be suprised about how much business you can drum up.

azdecals

We just went from garage based to a storefront. Location is real important. We are located in a downtown area, over 100 years old. The city has allowed a weekly farmers market along with a number of other 'street fair' types of events during the year.

add to that the current economy and we found rents to be very favorable.

We have been there 2 months and already we are almost making enough to pay the extra expense of a storefront (rent, utilities, insurance, biz license, coc membership, etc.)

Now having said that, it takes a lot of work to get things up and moving. It will be your entire life until you can get it up and moving. You also need to figure out about outside sales and how you will handle that and having the shop open at the same time.

If you are going to open one up then now is a great time to get a good deal on a lease.

Good info from everyone, I'll just comment on midwaste's post because it's the closest to what I do.  I'm home based and not ready for a store front.

Get some cheap business cards and hit the pavement.  Hit the strip malls or whatever that have no vinyl on the doors/windows, print some samples off the web and show them what they are missing.  Same for banners.

Another thing I did was create a flyer (attached) with some samples of work I've done.  I have the business cards, and I have a website, but I wanted something to fill the gap.  Something with more info than a business card, to attract attention and hopefully spark enough interest that they'll view my website and hopefully want work done.  I didn't feel like handing a business card saying "I have samples on my website" would be as effective.  So I thought of a way to put a way for them to see a few samples right in their hand, and hopefully they will want to see more and visit my website.

I made my flyer so that it fit 2 on an 8.5x11" page and took them to Kinko's.  Here the color copies are $.49, so for ~$25 I got 100 flyers.  I keep them in my truck with my business cards and hand them out.  I printed a very brief summary of the services that I offer, and had maybe 5-6 pictures:  a van, a couple t-shirts, a website template I did for a local business, etc.  I'm also going to start mailing them out, I'm going to contact some of the local real estate offices and stress the banners.  I've seen a lot of them used recently on commercial properties, "2900+ Square Feet" etc.  I sent one to a local office, and got a call within a few days from their art dept.  They do their design work in house, don't need anything now, but the lady said she was keeping my info for possible future use.  That made me happy, as I knew it didn't just get immediately thrown away upon opening (maybe after the call). 

There's also been a lot of new construction recently and I'm keeping my eye on the commercial ones to see as they get closer to opening.  There's a new buffet in a busy business area, and I saw today they are now open.  So tomorrow I'm going to pitch them a "now open" etc banner. 

Consider a heat press for doing garments.  Here in IL we get this stuff called "winter" and "snow" and I'm hoping that recent purchase will get me through the winter when I can't be out doing store windows, etc.  I have a big pending order with a local gym that I'm optimistic about.

I think the landscaping businesses are a good idea (yard signs, truck/trailer graphics), real estate (banners).  Lots of pools will be opening, churches will have summer bible schools.  There are a lot of possibilities to approach.  Don't be afraid to approach places, and don't get discouraged if you don't get jobs every time.  There's work out there, you just have to find it.

An important thing I can tell you, is that in dealing with people:  be professional, patient, friendly, and nice.  There's a lot of attitude around here in the graphic design world.  I get compliments on the fact that I am patient, and explain things in a way people can understand, without talking down to them.  Also that I keep them involved in the process.  People might not be artists, but they often have ideas about what they want, that maybe they can't express.  Listen to them.  I've been impressed with a couple recent projects from customers who weren't "artists", but had neat concepts in mind that came out well, because I listened to them rather than taking over.  Customers take pride in that, and they'll come back to you.

Also, with your welding experience, maybe you can fabricate mounts, etc cheaper than buying them.  There's a guy here somewhat locally that fabricates various custom sign stands, mounts, etc, and even other sign shops go to him for that service.  Maybe you can offer vinyl decals to the union locals, I see them on trucks around here sometimes.  Use all of your network and experience that you can.

post-4855-12986538126761_thumb.jpg

post-4855-12986538136344_thumb.jpg

I would hit the streets and start with store fronts that need better signage or even hours updated.  Little things like that can add up and be low cost for you to get started.  Definitely get your business cards right away.  You don't have to spend a fortune on them, but make sure they are good quality and get enough you aren't going to worry about giving them away all over the place.  Handing someone a solid business card can be the cheapest way to legitimize your business.  Coroplast street signs can be good advertising as well, but that can add up to a lot of costs quickly and may or may not target your best market.

I would work on getting some business lined up before you worry about getting a store.   You can also try talking to a bank locally about getting a small business loan (around 1K or so).  You are going to need some working capital at first to order supplies.   Like John says, I used to get 50% down at first, but when you get some bigger clients, this is a hassle and can look unprofessional.

Scrape together as much money as you can and buy some coroplast signs.  Make some signs up for vinyl signs/car decals/etc, put em on the corners. 

There has to be tons of landscaping businesses around you.  Hit them up wherever you can, tell them the benefits of putting a sign advertising at the properties they take care of, and sell em some coroplast signs.  While you are there, sell some magnets or vinyl for the trucks/trailers.

Use the downtime to learn as much as you can and try different things.  Wallwords, etching, multi-color registration decals, tiles, glass blocks, etc.

Good luck!  You can do it.

Edit: Forgot to mention posting on local Craigslists and free classified sites.   You will get mixed results, but it can't hurt to try.

This is really good advice, and I second everything he says, and I think at the core of it is do ANYTHING and EVERYTHING you can.....work your butt off because it sounds like your family's life depends on it.  Be a good honest person, and BE THE FACE OF YOUR BUSINESS.  When you deal with a customer, know their name and they will know yours.  You are selling a service and product, but you are also selling an experience and yourself.  Every new customer is a chance to keep them coming back....focus on their needs and wants, and make them happy and things will grow. 

As far as money, these guys are right you don't need alot to start up.  A $1000 dollar business loan will get you a long ways as far as some inventory to start your business.  If you have local sign supply shops around it takes even less because you don't have to have things on hand.  I am about 4 hours from any sign supply, so I always have to have it on hand or overnight it which is expensive.