Sign in to follow this  
Yones12

What to charge

Ok so today i got an email from someone wanting 500 decals. What he wants is

either a 1inch high green, number 7

or a 1inch high, green , BY

Now of course im going to cut him a deal, but what should i charge for the number 7 or the BY, each?

thanks

Guest Schramm

I agree and if it was me it would be 45

Guest fivestar

Number 7 would be cakewalk.  Hell I'd do them for around $50.00-$60.00 total.

Guest Schramm

What?  $60?  How about I land all the work and you do all my cutting and weeding!  LOL

You'd use roughly 7 feet of 15" vinyl or 4.5 feet of 24" vinyl... I would image something like that would take about 20 minutes to cut(with a Graphtec :thumbsup:), 10 minutes to weed, 10 minutes for app tape, and 30 minutes to trim.

Vinyl cost would be about $0.40sq ft @ 24"x4.5' = 9sq ft x $0.40 = $3.60

App tape cost would be about $0.05sq ft @ 24"x5' = 10sq ft x $0.50

Total material cost = $4.10

Total time = 1 hour 10 minutes

Job price = $60.00

minus material cost - $4.10

Total profit = $55.90

But that's David's quote... mine was $200.00 :D

Guest fivestar

What?  $60?  How about I land all the work and you do all my cutting and weeding!  LOL

You land 'em.......I'll do 'em..... They are 7's............nothing to weed.......grip and rip........then tape and cut......I cut have 'em done in no time.....Hell I'd cut them as I am going to get lunch.......have 'em cut when I get back.

You'd use roughly 7 feet of 15" vinyl or 4.5 feet of 24" vinyl... I would image something like that would take about 20 minutes to cut(with a Graphtec :thumbsup:), 10 minutes to weed, 10 minutes for app tape, and 30 minutes to trim.

Vinyl cost would be about $0.40sq ft @ 24"x4.5' = 9sq ft x $0.40 = $3.60

App tape cost would be about $0.05sq ft @ 24"x5' = 10sq ft x $0.50

Total material cost = $4.10

Total time = 1 hour 10 minutes

Job price = $60.00

minus material cost - $4.10

Total profit = $55.90

But that's David's quote... mine was $200.00 :D

You've got your panel too wide and tall......It would take 2ft of 24" vinyl ;D

Well their going on the back of baseball helmets and their only 1inch so I'm not even going to app tape it, i quoted the guy at 20 cents for the number 7 and 25 cents for the BY, so that's still over $100 for each,

Guest Schramm

Your right each 7 tight to the other would be about 4 sf of vinyl.  Now lets think about this any larger sign company is going to charge them 75 cents easy for each.  I mean I dont care what other charge but if you could make a dollar but decide to only charge 50 cents you have to work 2x's as hard to make your money.  I hate it honestly when people just give it away as that is what ruined faux finishing!

Look at it this way you have to pay for the blades, upkeep, vinyl, shipping, tape and make money for your own time but the one thing you are not taking into account is set up and wear and tear of the machine, you are only looking at this from an hourly prospective and that is great if you only want to make a few bucks an hour.  It is totally insane to give work away, the economy is not that bad that you have to do this for the wage you would make flipping burgers at McDonalds!

I charge $45-65 per hour design depending on what I am designing and who it is for.  I never hear bitching about my set up charges or 10% upcharge for mantainance and material.  Fivestar I have an extra 2009 Sign Craft sign and letter cutting price guide if you want to understand pricing a little better because you are only hurting your own business by doing work for nothing!!!