Sign in to follow this  
muddywaterpirate

Starting business, do you use a business license with tax ID?

I'm going to start a small business doing viny stickers on a number of different items and would like to know how people are handling their businesses. 

Does everyone go the rout of getting a business license and tax ID number?  If so, where did you get your start?  I've checked around a few places and no officials in the area can point me in the right direction as to where to get started, or what I might need to get the business started.

I want to be professional enough because I think that potential customers appreciate a real business rather than just someone selling vinyl stickers.  Maybe I'm wrong, but what do most of you all do?

Guest kenya

I'm running my vinyl biz under my Aluminum & Glass biz license.

I would think that you would at least need an occupational license.

What state are you located in? Check with your local City Hall or County Tax Collectors Office, I renew my O.P. License thru them every year.

I'm just getting started in the vinyl stuff, but I've got an LLC for my "computer services" business.  For the time being I plan on doing vinyl work under the same tax ID and business name.

Not sure where you're located, but the state of Kansas makes it very simple to setup and register a small business.  I pay state taxes quarterly through their website too.  I'd start by going to your state's website and seeing what information you can find.

Cody

Guest fivestar

I run mine through our flowershop which is listed as arts/crafts on our business license.  I've only had 1 problem with a t-shirt vendor saying I didn't qualify to order through them, but they said they would provide me with a list of retail locations I could buy off of.  I laughed at the lady and told her I sell more shirts then any of your retail customers and you need me a hellva lot more then I need you, then I hung up the phone on her. :o :o :huh:

I had the same problem as you did no one here knew what I needed to do! I ran in circles for about a week till someone told me to go to the Federal site first and get a fed tax id number. In Virginia, you cant do anything without that. I discovered a web site that will do it all for you, for a "small fee" of course...lol. Next step I filed with state ( I think you have to have your federal id number to do that. (All this can be done online) once I had both of those numbers I got a biz license thru the town I have my store in. I also registered with the county/state for a ficticious name certificate. Unless your real name is in the name of your business you have to have that. I have to pay sales tax once a month to the state and they forward whatever to the city/town. I think thats about it!

Good Luck,

Renee

I had the same problem as you did no one here knew what I needed to do! I ran in circles for about a week till someone told me to go to the Federal site first and get a fed tax id number. In Virginia, you cant do anything without that. I discovered a web site that will do it all for you, for a "small fee" of course...lol. Next step I filed with state ( I think you have to have your federal id number to do that. (All this can be done online) once I had both of those numbers I got a biz license thru the town I have my store in. I also registered with the county/state for a ficticious name certificate. Unless your real name is in the name of your business you have to have that. I have to pay sales tax once a month to the state and they forward whatever to the city/town. I think thats about it!

Good Luck,

Renee

Thanks for that info, Renee.  I'm in North Carolina for all that questioned where I was.  I know it's different state by state.  One thing I would like to ask, Renee, could you throw out some ballpark figures of what all that cost?

Thanks!

Hey muddy:  I've got an ein for the irs.  Covers about 6 different business's.  Basically its a ssn for your biz.  If you are just doing it under a DBA you Can use your ssn for them.  BUT IF YOU WANT the IRS will isue you an id and it covers every business you would ever own if you are doing DBA.  If I remember correctly they will issue you that for free.

NOW in sc.  If you are in the city limits a biz lisc. is required. (around $80)  If you are selling PRODUCTS.  A sales tax lisc. from the state is required.  PLUS your sales tax lisc. will help you when you want to buy wholesale from a supplier. Can't remember if there was a cost or not.

Whether different kinds of services are taxable, it depends on who you ask.  AND I've got 100 different answers from the sc dept of revenue.  Especially with my programming business (consulting, etc...)

AND I know some cities require you to have a business lisc. if you are doing business within the city limits.  So if I drive to myrtle beach and do business there they expect me to have a lisc.  Give me a break....

Thats it here. 

i just have a dba and and sales and use tax permit  dba was $25 tax permit was $75 i think

Guest stunad, jr.

Hey muddy:  I've got an ein for the irs.  Covers about 6 different business's.  Basically its a ssn for your biz.  If you are just doing it under a DBA you Can use your ssn for them.  BUT IF YOU WANT the IRS will isue you an id and it covers every business you would ever own if you are doing DBA.  If I remember correctly they will issue you that for free.

NOW in sc.  If you are in the city limits a biz lisc. is required. (around $80)  If you are selling PRODUCTS.  A sales tax lisc. from the state is required.  PLUS your sales tax lisc. will help you when you want to buy wholesale from a supplier. Can't remember if there was a cost or not.

Whether different kinds of services are taxable, it depends on who you ask.   AND I've got 100 different answers from the sc dept of revenue.  Especially with my programming business (consulting, etc...)

AND I know some cities require you to have a business lisc. if you are doing business within the city limits.  So if I drive to myrtle beach and do business there they expect me to have a lisc.  Give me a break....

Thats it here. 

Pappy,

my SC resale tax id # was $200

Hey Muddy,

The Fed ID was free and if the state ID cost anything it was minimal but i think that was free as well. It cost me 35.00 for a town biz license and it did cost me to file the DBA with the state but again it wasnt very much, once i got the dba certificate i filed that with the county office. It wasnt too bad really, if someone could just give you a check list with what was required and what order you had to do it in is pretty painless. Our town officials are not the brightest bulbs in the pack and the chamber of commerce is a joke. That was the first place i went and I was told Duhhhhh, I dunno. But he sure was in my shop after i opened with his hand out, come join the chamber...i laughed and said what for? He didnt attempt to help me when i went asking so i have no use for him or them. Anyhow, once you apply for everything it only takes a couple of weeks before you have everything in order to run your biz!

Renee 

I run my my vinyl business under my catering business.  The only problem I have had was when I went to buy some shirts to print, a couple of companies said the wanted a separate license for the vinyl.  I guess they was afraid I was buying the shirts for just myself.  Needless to say I ended up buying them from someone else who accepted my info.

Gary

I got the runaround forever too when I got started.  I'm in IL, and I was told to register my business with the county.  I think that was $5.  Then I had to run an ad in the classified section of the newspaper once a week for 3 weeks, which was $90/total.  I then applied for the EIN number, which I needed to get my state tax ID number. 

I definitely do recommend doing it, the more professional your image, the less likely you are for people to try lowballing your services.  You'll be taken a lot more seriously.  It does seem frustrating and a lot of jumping through hoops, but it's better for you in the long run.