Guest Schramm

LETS HAVE FUN: What do you use your plotter for? POST!!!

Guest Schramm

Ok this may seem like a super stupid question as the obvious answer is cut vinyl, but honestly the question goes much deeper then the easy to find answer.  I want to know what you do for a job and what have you done with the plotter that may be considered outside the box.  I think that by each of us sharing some of what we do on a daily basis with the plotter we will find out many different uses for the plotter that we may of never thought of.

Since it is not fair for me to ask the question and not answer it I will start:

I use my plotter for:

*  Cutting stencils for furniture

*  Cutting templates and stencils for chalkboard designs

*  Cutting wall words and quotes

*  Cutting vinyl wall graphics

*  Cutting speciality stencils for the faux finishing market

*  Cutting stencils for sign making

*  Cutting UV Window film to size

*  Cutting etched glass vinyl

*  Cutting decorative window film

*  With the pen attachment I draw out full size designs for my clients

*  Cutting lettering for signs

I do a lot more with it but that is a pretty good start.  I have a CutterPro CS1200 50" plotter but plan soon to upgrading to a 60" Graphtec or Suma.

DECALS, DECALS AND MORE DECALS...  My primary business at this time is decals, i have supplies for magnets and coroplast, but have not gotten any orders lately.  Did do a couple of vehicle lettering last week but that is about all.  Really pushing the decal business right now, or at least that is what I am concentrating on.

Guest Schramm

Is there enough money in decals to make a living?  I have made a few for people mostly the local cheerleaders but never really made much from that.  I do know a couple of guys that work the flea markets that make a killing on stuff like that.  I think that if people can see it they will buy it.

I just do the typical stuff with mine. This isn't my full time income, so I have yet to venture out to an extreme like some  others.

So far I have used my cutter(s) for:

vehicle decals

store fronts

coroplast signs

building/door signs

banners

clothing

container labels

wall decor

emergency vehicle striping

picture frames

tiles

silk screening

and maybe one or two other things that I can't think of right now.

Well I am not getting rich off of decals, but as long as you market them to high volume buyers, you can make a living.  I am currently marketing them to my local schools, they buy anywhere from 20 to 300 decals at a time, and at $5.00 a pop, it is not bad. 

Also I do the flea market everyweekend and do pretty well.

I do this only part time , as I still teach school from 8-12 every day, but I've found lots of things I can use the vinyl cutter for in my classroom. I even did a cat headstone for a friend that has had 3 cats killed recently by some wild animal. It picked them off one at a time. The couple had had the cats for a very long time and were very attached to them. They bought a headstone and I added the lettering for each cat on the same stone. They planned to coat it with something clear to protect the vinyl and lay it at the graves.I thought that was pretty unusual for a use.....Sandy

Guest kenya

Decals

Banners

Magnetic signs

Wall decor

Tiles

Mirrors

Store fronts

Coroplast signs

RV/Trailer/Boat lettering

This thing can do so much........ it just goes on & on- :thumbsup:

I talk to my Refine, I ask for advices and I take her out for dinner.

Sometimes I cut decals, but not too often as I dont want her to feel "used"  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

So far nothing. I just let it sit here and look pretty.  :thumbsup:

Really though, Only had it about 4 days and my other supplies have yet to show up so I am just itching to play with this thing. :thumbsup:

Hey Hippie - your burning-up icon is hilarious!! :thumbsup:

I forgot where I found that but I have had it for ages and still laugh at it all the time. :thumbsup:

Just learning, so for right now a few t-shirts, and decorating some props for a play. Looking forward to lots more! :thumbsup:

Guest round2racing

Well, let's see......

I cussed it for the first two days.  Called it every name I could think of and made a few up.

Then, I cut a few signs, screwed them up royally, got mad again, called the cutter some more really horrible names.

But, I suddenly realized that the cutter was doing what the idiot operator was telling it to do.  It wasn't the poor cutter's fault.

I apologized and starting cutting some really nice stuff.

So far, I have done all the decals for my race car and 26 foot trailer.

I have done dozens of memorials, and even cut an Aerosmith logo for someone's car (they have been in the fan club for over 18 years).

Now, my boss wants some signs for our MSDS boxes that we post at jobsites.

I don't think he wants to pay me though...........maybe it's just for brownie points.

Anyway, I am working with my vinyl orders and my own vinyl projects at the rate of about 30 hours a week in addition to my 50 hour per week job.

I'm pooped.!!!!