Sign in to follow this  
Guest YHC

******SHIPPED*******(Delivered BUT BAD LCD) :(

Guest YHC

I have about $500 to spend on my first cutter. I would like to be able to do the following:

Cut small 1/2 to 1" graphics and also be able to cut the most common size automobile graphics.

I don't think I would get into making big banners or anything like that. So, do you think a 24" cutter would be a good start? If so, I'm looking at the USCutter LaserPoint (I might get into heat transfers) or the MH Vinyl Cutter (if I go with this one I could afford some vinyl to cut ;D ).

Please give me your feedback on what cutter you would go with from these two options or if you have another I should look at as well. My goal is to be able to buy a cutter and afford at least one roll of vinyl and starter kit.

Update!

OK, So I had something sell for me on eBay that allows me to spend more money on my cutter. So now I am looking at the LaserPoint or the Copam CP Series.

Please take a look at the two check out baskets I have and let me know which one you would go with starting out in the cutting biz. One option gives me more material to start out with and the other puts me in a professional class machine with less to practice on.

Update!

Cutter has been shipped!!!!! ;D

Thank you

Rick

post-0-12986536044016_thumb.jpg

post-0-12986536044281_thumb.jpg

post-0-12986536057692_thumb.jpg

post-0-12986536057819_thumb.jpg

I have a Laser Point 24. I have cut letters down to 1/4", They aren't perfect at that size but it did cut them. Anything 1/2" or above seems to cut really well. I have also done Letters 23" tall with no problem either. The LP also has contour cutting feature that the other models don't. If you get the stand, the basket underneath is awesome for keeping your vinyl off the floor, that's worth the money alone. I don't think any other of the lower end models come with the basket on them.

The Lp gives you a lot of options that will allow you to do more later. Personally I'd go with the LP, then Pick up a cheap bundle of vinyl to play with. I bought the $65 BGS bundle, It's not great vinyl but it's ok to play with while you learn. You make a bunch of stuff and give it to family, till your ready to buy the good stuff.

Read through the Laserpoint forum, also Search this forum for Laserpoint and you will find a ton of responses to other about the two cutters your looking for.

Good Luck

Kevin

Guest YHC

Please see updated information in first post.

Thanks

Rick

I have no Experience with the Copam, but I have heard on hear it is a great machine. The only advantages the the LP has are the Contour cutting feature, (which needs to be evaluated by you to determine if you would even use it), and it also has the media basket, which I like a lot.

My Laserpoint has more than got me going in the business and performs great with a little work on my part to set it up correctly. I have had mine about a month and it has paid for itself already with some to spare, and I mean literally paid in cash for itself. I'm about a week from paying off my entire $1500 order, and I haven't advertised at all, just word of mouth and good workmanship.

So my final consensus is that no matter which way you go, you'll do fine with it. Both are good machines with different quality attributes.

Good Luck

Kevin

Guest fivestar

As Kevin stated either one will work great for you.  Remember the longer you hold off the longer it will take to pay itself off.  I've made enough off mine in the last 2+yrs to probably buy a couple new cars.  Granted I never  :'( and don't have the $$$$ now but I've made alot of $$$$$ with my Refines before I finally broke down and bought a GraphTec (which I love).

I would probably choose the Copam out of the two choices... for 2 reasons.

1. unless you plan on doing some digital printing, there's really no need for the contour cut option

2. from what I hear is as close you can get to a well-known brand name cutter for under $1k... I haven't seen or heard of anybody that owns a copam with a complaint.

Guest YHC

Glad to be getting some feedback. I thought I used all my help tokens or no one liked me already ;D

I don't know why but, I've been more scared to buy one of these then anything I've bought. I just don't want to cut myself short on any features or cut quality with what I'm able to afford. There are allot of deals on eBay but, I want to make sure I get service if I need it down the road.

Also, I really do think I will be doing t-shirts and ink transfer down the road. That being said I'm leaning to the LP cutter but, I'm also struggling with what size I think I'll need. Can anyone tell me how often they've needed to cut anything bigger then what a 24" cutter can't do?

I have a 36" cutter but honestly I could cut anything I need with the 24"... I just get a good deal on 30" vinyl from time to time.

Guest fivestar

I've cut about 2 or 3 things over 24" in my 2+yrs.

Your size limit isn't really the size of your cutter. It's your ability. You can cut a graphic any size with a 24" the only difference is that it will tile it, or break it into manageable pieces that you put together on the substrate.

Also if your thinking larger text, 23" text is huge, and will cover 90% of anything you do. Bu int he case it doesn't, you can always cut length wise individual letters. 24" wide letters equate to roughly 48" tall letters.

Kevin

In about 1 1/2 years I've only cut one image that was 44" tall...

By the time you need a cutter bigger than a 24"... you will have already made more than enough to cover the cost of the 24" cutter. ;D

Guest YHC

What is the difference in a 45 and 60 degree blade? I know its a different angle but why would you use one over the other?

45 degree is for normal cuts, 60 degree is for either fine detail/small cut or thick material.

I would definitey go with the Copam, we have one and it has made us a lot of money.  We havent had any problems with it, it is a little loud compared to some others but overall a great machine.  And for the price......you cant beat it.

Guest YHC

Well I finally made my order today  :o I went with the Laser because I plan on doing heat transfers in the near future and thought this would be the better cutter for that job. Besides, if I can make the money that most on here claim to be making I'll buy one of each cutter later :)

So my final order came to this:

USCutter LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter w/ CONTOUR CUTTING feature

Model: 24'' With Stand (pictured) - $80.00

Software: Flexi Starter 8.6 - $60.00

Add Vinyl: Oracal 24'' by 10 Yard - 12 Color Set ($279.99 value) $269.99

Add Accessories: Starter Supply Kit $59.99

Is it here yet? Is it Is it??!! :thumbsup:

Guest YHC

STATUS SHIPPED!!!!!!!!!! :);D

Can't wait to start cutting :)

Congrats on the purchase... I just upgrade this morning, myself... to a Graphtec!

Guest fivestar

CONGRATS TO BOTH OF YOU.......Tim you won't be disappointed with your GraphTec.

Guest YHC

Man talk about a buzz kill :-

My cutter was delivered yesterday and I sat all day at work just  ;D my new toy. Then I finally get off work and spend the afternoon putting the stand together and unpacking my supplies. I get to the point to set up the cutter, I read step by step to the point that it tells me to power the cutter on. My face went from this :) to this :) when I find that my LCD isn't showing up. I get some faded black boxes and that's it.

My luck just sucks :- I bought straight from US Cutter in hopes to avoid this issue that I would expect if I would have bought off of eBay :thumbsup:

If you have any suggestions please post them here:http://forum.uscutter.com/index.php/topic,17197.0.html

My Graphtec got delivered less than 5 minutes ago... let's hope the outcome isn't the same!

Guest fivestar

My Graphtec got delivered less than 5 minutes ago... let's hope the outcome isn't the same!

Someone's gonna be having fun.

Man talk about a buzz kill :-

My cutter was delivered yesterday and I sat all day at work just  ;D my new toy. Then I finally get off work and spend the afternoon putting the stand together and unpacking my supplies. I get to the point to set up the cutter, I read step by step to the point that it tells me to power the cutter on. My face went from this :) to this :) when I find that my LCD isn't showing up. I get some faded black boxes and that's it.

My luck just sucks :- I bought straight from US Cutter in hopes to avoid this issue that I would expect if I would have bought off of eBay :thumbsup:

If you have any suggestions please post them here:http://forum.uscutter.com/index.php/topic,17197.0.html

Man that really sucks.

I have the 24" LP and love it.  My nephew uses it more than I do, but I have learned how to use it and am very happy with the quality.  The software was probably the biggest learning curve.  I have some graphic abilities, but nothing with vectors.  I keep looking for things I monogram and setting up my prices and the vinyl section on my site.

Good luck, I didn't have any problems at all with mine.

Nancy