Sign in to follow this  
SignUp2Day

Copam Plotter Cutting Issue

I have an iMac running OSX 10.5.6.  I am running Adobe Illustrator CS2 and CS3 for designs.  I am using SignCutX2 to cut on a Copam 2500.  My first job which was very complicated and detailed, but cut perfect.  It was only an 18x24 sign in one color.  More recently I had 3 banners to do, all 3'x6'.  They basically had 4 lines of text, one line was reversed (negative) in a box with a line going through it. The line was an actual box not a stroke.  Everything was outlined and combined, one color, etc.  But when it cut, it would drop letters from my text or cut individual letters on top of each other as if they were overlapping.  The letter "y" would overlap the letter "o" in the word "your" as if the kerning was tight.  They didn't even touch in the original design.  The previews were fine with my tiling.

I have one theory.  The default settings in SignCutX2 have the RTS, DTS, DTR and DSR settings turned off.  According to the manual, the RTS, DTS and DTR settings should be checked. I am going to order a pen to test before I waste this much vinyl again. But do you know what might have caused this?  When I outline text in Illustrator, do I need to use the Pathfinder tool and merge the objects as well?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

This could be caused by several things, first be sure you allow enough slack in the vinyl to allow the cut without having to pull from the roll, second even though you said the file previews ok you might want to attach a copy of the file to your post for us to review. Next there are some issues with file complexity and the import plotters. We have a new version available that changes the way files are sent to the plotter so they better understand them. You may download a trial version from www.signcutpro.com/trial.html - if it works for you we would be happy to transfer your subscription over at no charge. To do so email both license numbers new Pro license and old SC-X2 license to support@sc-x2.com.

One other thing to not the plugins must be installed separately on aMac and they are also available on our new site under downloads.

Should you need additional help getting started with the Pro version please do not hesitate to contact us via support@sc-x2.com

Thank you for the quick reply.  I will download the newer version and follow your instructions.  Attached is the artwork I exported to SignCutX2.  I had to attache a PDF of the document because of the size limitations.  Let me know if you see any obvious issues.  You may be correct about the slack.  It may have been the weight of the vinyl that the machine was unable to pull.  I hope that was all it was.

Crimson Banner Output.pdf

Crimson Banner Output.pdf