Sign in to follow this  
sprinter#5

A little advice?

Hello, :thumbsup:

I am the proud new owner of a laser point 48" & I just did a job for my family (see links to pics). I used the BGS starter pack for the vinyl. The signs are 23.33 square & 21.00 x 30.00 respectively. The letters are 4" and 2.50" respectively. I would like to know how they are viewed by the rest of you? ie. good, bad, needs improvement, etc. and also how much one would charge for what I did? I purchased the white board for $13.85 @ Home Depot...of which I used 3/4 of it for this job. The sign holders were provided by the "customer" (my Mother owns the restaurant so I will not be charging for this...however, I do need some advice on what the market will bear for this job!) the signs are two sided and are exactly the same on both sides. Any and all advice/critique will be greatly appreciated...feel free to e-mail me directly too at jdhopkins69@hotmail.com with comments.

Thanks

Sincerely,

Johnny

:huh:

javascript:gotoSlideShow('http://www2.snapfish.com/slideshow/AlbumID=297773812/PictureID=6921954504/a=164717488_164717488/t_=164717488')

javascript:gotoSlideShow('http://www2.snapfish.com/slideshow/AlbumID=297773812/PictureID=6921953874/a=164717488_164717488/t_=164717488')

javascript:gotoSlideShow('http://www2.snapfish.com/slideshow/AlbumID=297773812/PictureID=6921946354/a=164717488_164717488/t_=164717488')

I think these both look very good.  On the open one, I might have made the lettering a little bigger. I would have charged $35 & $45 respectively.  But, I live in NY & it is what it is here.

Guest Schramm

Doing things for free make for great practice.  The one thing that I might say would be to watch the centering.  The cutting and the weeding is the easy part but layout is key to making a sign or anything flow.  Now this may be just be the pic and honestly the work looks nice (do agree about the lettering size as well) and I am not saying this to hurt feelings but to help you get work.

Another note is to always when doing free things give yourself a plug at the bottom of the sign.

Looks good to me, the only thing I would add would maybe be a border of some sort. 

Consider a Facebook and/or Myspace account with a gallery of pics of your work also.  It can help you get more visibility.  As you get more established, consider an actual website. 

Looks good to me, the only thing I would add would maybe be a border of some sort

+1  :thumbsup:

Here's a real simple one, I would shift the lettering down and do a simple border.  Not sure what software you're using, but in SignBlazer elements there's some different ones that are easy to load into your designs.

Another approach would be to use the negative space around the "Open" letters (weed out the letters themselves and use the surrounding area for a different effect).

post-4855-12986537214788_thumb.jpg

post-4855-1298653721508_thumb.jpg

post-4855-12986537222312_thumb.jpg

post-4855-12986537222508_thumb.jpg

Thanks everyone...I needed a little boost. I am wondering if anyone can tell me why the eps files that I download from here will not open in Sign Blazer Elements? I cannot open them with the file open or with file import...in the file import...it gives me an error message that reads memory fault three times then it says unrecoverable error SBE needs to close...end of story. Anyone know why?

Are you saving the files in your SBD folder?  I had that happen one time, and it just seemed like it was the particular file that wouldn't open.  What vector program are you using?  (Illustrator, Inkscape, etc).  Maybe try downloading the .eps file again.