Sign in to follow this  
Xmom

Quick question about BGS vinyl sold @ USCutter

I purchased a roll here to practice on (inexpensive) but have done a few things that I really like.  My question is, what type of longevity is it comparable to?  I will mainly be using Oracal 631 due to it being used as wall words.  If I put this BGS vinyl on my wall, when it comes time to vacate these historical military quarters, will I have issues?  :thumbsup: 

Xmom

I bought a roll of silver and am having trouble getting the application tape to stick. (R Tape clear and paper types)

What I have done with it (1 color car decal) seems to be holding up well since October.

I'm not so concerned with the application tape sticking.  :thumbsup:  I am more concerned about it not coming off the wall when it comes time to move. 

XMom

Thanks for that quote...guess I won't be putting it on my wall.  I will find something else to use it for.  I am also putting it on wood/old windows so that might be a place for it.

XMom

No Problem, Aside from all the hassle I have had with BGS Vinyl, it does have it's place.  It doesn't hurt too bad if you scrap a piece of BGS that's 5 feet long because you did something wrong or didn't line your vinyl up correctly.It's cheap and great for onetime use stuff. It's also perfect for cheap windows decals that people probably aren't going to leave on forever. At least on glass it's easy enough to remove the leftover glue residue.

From what I have read the Oracal 631 is the vinyl you want for the wall decorations. It's got a removable adhesive that doesn't leave behind a residue. and it's cheap enough too, only $6 more a roll than BGS for 24" x 10 Yard. I am going to be picking some up later this week to try out.

Kevin

Kevin,

Oracal 631 is perfect for what I am going to be doing and I do have a lot of that but today I was cutting a very large design and thought it if worked on the BGS, I could use it.  It worked but I will have to find another surface to put it on.

I am cutting the same design for myself on some Oracal 631 as I type.  :thumbsup:

XMom

Xmom military funny about messing up the walls. Military in my family put things like that on a foam core board and hang the board with straight pins. Walls only have very small pin holes. Some buy the poster frames to get the clear cover and put their stuff inside. Not as pretty as nice large picture frames, but no nasty letters from housing, and thats always a good thing. My brother had to pay dearly for hanging stuff on the walls his first time in base housing with a new wife. :thumbsup:

Government Quarters.....I remember those days well! They didnt knit pick too badly on the walls, just fill the holes with tooth paste and they are good to go, My DH is retired military and we lived in more than our fair share of military housing, When we cleared them, they took apart our kitchen sink, the stove, they used flashlights and WHITE gloves to inspect, any dust or debri anywhere and you were stuck for another day. oh yeah they would even furnish an old fashioned PUSH MOWER with the quarters and there better not be so much as a grass stain, blades had to be gleeming and oiled, even the tires...LOL!!! I'm afraid if they were to inspect my house now it would be condemmed! LOL!!

Renee

Thankfully the out processing inspection for quarters isn't near as bad as it used to be.  Our housing here is privatized and they hire out most everything... :laugh :thumbsup:  We live in historical quarters and had to sign a release stating that if we painted the walls (I painted 11 rooms...living in government quarters 20 years this month (!)) I was tired of white walls.

I have quite a few wall words and that is why I wanted to get into doing them myself and hoping to sell to others.  It is an easy fix for plain white walls.

XMom

xmom you are so right, they are super easy to do for white walls! Glad they no longer knit pick like they used, We lived in historical quarters as well, twice in fact, once at Ft Meyer ( near Arlington Cemetery) and again at Ft Monroe Va. The house we had at Ft Meyer was in fact an old carriage house, cant remember who it belonged to all those years ago but it was a pretty neat house.

Renee