Big Mike

Newbie Questions

I'm considering your 25" plotter and have a few questions... (anyone please feel free to answer)

Is there a way to properly set the blade depth? Some type of slide scale or way to measure depth?

What I mean is this - is there some type of measurement so that you can set the blade at depth X for this mil vinyl and at depth XX for a thicker vinyl etc, etc... or do you just have to guess how how deep to put the blade down to keep from cutting through the vinyl's backing?

To do stickers, I thought I was going to have to cut text, and then cut ovals, or whatever shape and place the text stickers on top to create the sticker with writing on it... didn't realize you could use a sharpie or other item to literally write right on the vinyl - does it look decent or do you have any issues with that? Is it totally trial and error as far as doing this ie: pens running out of ink, to much pressure, points not being as sharp towards the end of the run -vs- start of the run etc, etc... clue me in on this - - - how would you make ovals and bumper stickers? With pen, or overlaying one cut out text sticker over the cut out square bumper sticker etc... I think I read somewhere where someone said to mark the vinyl and didn't understand - but I think he was stating to mark the vinyl so you could do a run of cuts and then later go back and align with the mark you made and then use the pens/markers to make the text that way you know they are lined up - is that correct?

Can you use "any size" of vinyl on the printers? Meaning if it's a 25" can you use 24", 12" or whatever sizes are available by tightening up some type of guide or runner? We do a lot of 8" sizes in my business, and would think that it would cut down on waste if we could do smaller width vinyl... I guess the question is - are these printers adjustable to diff width vinyls?

What is "weeding" I see that mentioned alot and why do you do it? I'm assuming it's removing text or vinyl so you can reapply it somewhere else??? Maybe I'm totally off, clue me in on the terminology.

What about installation of this stuff on say... glass windows (store front). What methods are there as far as - do you guys suggest putting on wet or dry - what type of squeegies or tools should be used to install these on glass?

How long of a run should you try to do at one time? Do you cut it into short sections to put on a glass window (store front) or do you try to do the entire thing at one time - I just tried to put up about an 8' long piece of vinyl with my shops name on it (not sign or vinyl related) and it was nearly impossible to get on. I had wrinkles, it's not straight etc, etc... should I have used a marker along the length and cut the individual words and put them up individually or something?

What is the thickest mil you can run? I know a lot of the 8" letters/numbers we use are 8 mil. They seem pretty thick.

Hope my questions aren't too confusing.

Thanks it's appreciated. No-no it's REALLY appreciated. You see, our local sign companies are ridiculous. I called three, only 2 called back and the second one that called back didn't even call back for a few weeks. One was $750 + $150 installation for 42 ten inch letters (name on shop window, and on each side of a road side marquee that is reachable by step ladder). I can buy pre-made 8" letters in three packs for a few bucks! Total under $50 including sales tax! So the nearly $1000 to install theirs seems a little crazy - possibly "sign business" potential in our area it seems... *grin*

Mike

The blade depth is really a maunal adjustment/Most people use the same king of vinyl on their cutters,so once you set the blde depth for that mill of vinyl,you hardly ever have to change it.Using pens looks just like a print if it's done right.It's really not trial and error as far as pens running out of ink or the sharpness.I use new pens when I start a job,so I just have to make sure to run it slower to keep from drying out the pen.I don't understand the marking vinyl part.I run my jobs,some of them with 6 to 8 colors,and I never take the vinyl out of the cutter.You just have to set it to stop after each color so you can change the pen,and make sure your last run on the plot is an oval or rectangle cut.Then you put the blade in,cut it and you're done with.The only measuring I do is when I first put the vinyl in the cutter,and that's just to make sure the vinyl is running straight.It doesn't matter what size vinyl you use as long as it's not over 25" and the maximum length for the 721 and I think the 1351 is 57 feet.Weeding is removing the area away from your product.The inner parts of the o' r's p's etc.The glass parts is no problem as long as you have a good piece of vinyl to work with.A few people apply wet,but it's better to go dry if you can.On the large long jobs it helps to go wet to give you time to line you work out.I use a 4" hard nsqueegee to apply.But I have used a 6" wooden ruler.When I do a job,I cut the vinyl to fit the job.It doesn't matter if it's a 4 foot banner or a 19 foot graphic for a vehicle.You just have to allow yourself the time to work with a cutter.I  don't see that as a problem because when you get one,all you want to do is play with it.But,if you do plan on going into the sign business,please learn your cutter before you start bidding jobs.I have seen people buy cutters that have never used one in their life and have jobs lined up before the cutter even comes in.Then they post for help in a panic because they have a job to finish and they don't know how to do it.That is a bad business tactic.It makes you look inexperienced to the customer,and if you end up doing a half assed job,word of mouth from your first two or three jobs could end up costing you jobs in the future.All of the above mentioned is why the sign shops charge what they do.If they do a bad vinyl cut,the customers rarely see it because they correct it before it goes to the job site.They charge enough to cover recuts,or longer application times.Viinyl is a very cheap application material.But labor is not.That's why they charge so much.

I was just kidding about the sign business. Just want this for my own personal use.

>>>I run my jobs,some of them with 6 to 8 colors,and I never take the vinyl out of the cutter.You just have to set it to stop after each color so you can change the pen

You mean you run 6-8 different markers on the same piece of vinyl and just stop it and back it up each time. Cool I understand what you are talking about. I saw a post where someone (possibly you?) said something about marking the vinyl - a trick they learned from screen printing... didn't understand what that mark was for.

Weeding - great simple answer I appreciate it. I didn't understand what was meant by that. Removing of the center of the letter O or e or P etc...

On installing longer runs - I can't figure out in my head the best way to tape the letters up to install them... Do you put the tape at the top and let the entire long die cut dangle down or ?

On this question which is truly a newbie question do some of those videos actually give you good tips ie: "Larry Mitchell Series on Vinyl Signmaking and Vehicle Decoration" and ---

S-1155 The Complete Guide to Large-Format Graphics  Volume Two: Digital Vinyl by David King. 

S-1122 Dynamite Computer Lettering by Rick Williams

S-1123 Basic Sign Layout and Design by Bill Hueg

S-1140 Banner Production Techniques by Rick Williams

Basic Binyl Application

Signtrainer.com: Intro, Corel Demo, Apllication, Outlines, Weeding, Tape-Up, More Design Tips, Bubbles

Do You Speak Color? by Pantone

Do any of these letimately show you the basics of doing vinyl cutting, and installing it on glass or signs?

I appreciate any/all help. I'm sorta on a deadline for my business as I need to get signs for my business cut/made as soon as possible. They will all be just basic cut out text (die cut?)... One on the glass front window, two out on the little marquee by the highway and then I need to make up approx 50 of the core board signs with the H or Y stakes.

As mentioned at any marine, or nearly any motorcycle shop you can purchase 3 packs of 8" cut out letters/numbers in black or white for about $2.00 per pack. So I could have gone that route, but when the sign maker/cutter came back and told me $900 installed for 10" on really-really thin vinyl, I figured I'd do it myself. For that price I can purchase the cutter/plotter, the vinyl and have plenty of time to experiment to get it right. And still have approx $400+ left over!

Billy I appreciate your help on this - by the way, other than the front window and marquee for my shop all the vinyl will be cut small prob only 2-3" for the little core board signs... so I should be able to make up a ton of those with a small amount of vinyl I assume... which is nice as it'll save $$$ as I'm working on a budget for a new business I just opened that is motorcycle related.

Anyone else have any comments? I'd love to hear them. Just want to try and get it right the first time.

Mike

I think the reason I'm trying to get it right the first time is because I'm seeing this:

We offer absolutely no technical support and no returns on plotters unless damaged in shipping - in which case, we will file a claim with UPS (assuming insurance option is chosen) and you will receive a replacement unit once claim payment has been made.  If technical assistance is required, it will be charged at a rate of $30 per instance and $60/hour if more than 1/2 hour is necessary.

SellTopia, in no way offers any warranty or accepts any liability 

If you are not extremely knowledgeable about computers, you may have difficulty installing.  Parallel port installation is the best method.  We offer absolutely no technical support and no returns on plotters

It looks like most are having a good experiance with these cutter/plotters but hey no support and then if you do use their support it's $60.00 per hour... that can get expensive if there is a problem.

Still it looks like almost everyone is having pretty decent sucess with these... and I see a person named Marcel (hope I got the spelling correct) on here that appears to be the owner of the company trying to help people which is reassuring.

Mike

Hello Mike, I do NOT own the company, but I do work here and handle most of the support issues. I suppose we should update that info on the ebay auctions B) We have never charged anyone for support and generally help people get the plotter setup and installed, and with any hardware issues. We don't have the resources to teach people how to use the product and make signs but do provide this forum to get people pointed in the right direction. In fact my technical knowledge is more about computers and software than sign making so I don't always have the answers to some questions about weeding etc, but fortunately there are good folks in this forum like Billy who will usually help out newbies with those types of things.