alborlin

trouble applying vinyl to car windows

im having trouble applying to car windows. first i started and cleaned with windex, found out thats not good. someone said apply wet w just water and clean w alcohol. did that , worked better but still didnt stick very good. ive done lots on coroplast w no problem. im using paper appli. tape. do i need to use clear?

any further sugg. appreciated

thanks, joe

ps, i also used the home brew with not good results .

im having trouble applying to car windows. first i started and cleaned with windex, found out thats not good. someone said apply wet w just water and clean w alcohol. did that , worked better but still didnt stick very good. ive done lots on coroplast w no problem. im using paper appli. tape. do i need to use clear?

any further sugg. appreciated

thanks, joe

ps, i also used the home brew with not good results .

What Vinyl? My oracal 651 sticks like a dream!

Guest kenya

What is the temp outside? Are you applying it outside or in a warm garage?

Is it damp or rainy weather?

I couldn't apply letters to a storefront yesterday, due to all the rain & dampness....... it just wouldn't stick.

You could try warming the glass with a heat gun.  :huh:

it was a warm day for us in the 50s w sun. it was for a back window. i think i was using a lg brand from r&j sign supply

Rain-x on the window?

Most car washes spray a "drying agent" on the car, in reality it is a wax.  They also use a body protectant similar to rain-x / wax.

Use a glass cleaner with alcohol in it, I like Invisible Glass, before appling the decals.

Scrub windows with alcohol, get the wax and stuff off.

If you applying wet squeegee much more and harder.  You have to build pressure.  If it still peels up when you remove the transfer paper then give it 30 minutes to dry first with the tape on then peel it.  You can also spray down the transfer tape one the decal is adhered, this will loosen it from the vinyl and make the peeling easier.

Hope that helps.

If you end up applying the graphic using application fluid, make sure you squeege it down real good. If the graphic starts to pull up as you remove the masking, just lay it back down and spray down the mask using application fluid. Once its soaked, squeege squeege squeege. Wait maybe, a minute or so and then try and peel off the mask. Start either left or right and pull down diagonally slowly.

Hope this helps.