Sign in to follow this  
lynnpromotions

Computer Recommendations?

Well, I have been using my notebook computer for my plotter but it just has a lot of issues. Using the USB and the limited graphics memory is really slowing me down.

And to make matters worse, my favorite computer store, PC Club, shut down a while back.

So, I need a recommendation of a PC. Not only a brand like Dell, but a particular model.

Here is what I want:

Fast front side bus

7200 RPM or better HD

Video graphics card with lots of memory

Large capacity for RAM.

It doesn't have to be pretty but it does have to scream. I was thinking a gamers pc might be something to look at since it would have a good graphics card and memory but I am not sure. I haven't purchased a desktop in a long time and the last 4 I built myself.

So, suggestions on a brand/model? Also, any thoughts on components?

Well you said you have built your own. So that's the only way to go.

You live in the U.S.?

newegg.com

hands down one of the cheapest and great shipping prices.

I'm in canada so I went through directcanada.com basically the same, just  alil more expensive. ncix is available in the states too, which is an affilliate of ncix.

Between newegg and nciz you will be guaranteed the lowest price.

I built a blazing fast gamer/editing computer for only $800.

As long as you have  a copy of XP (hold out for windows 7) or just buy a cheap licence of XP off newegg. And get a monitor to your liking from them or anywhere else.

I'd stick with Intel for now, as they have the best clock speeds, unless you are going top/newest processor and watercooling etc.

Even still Intel all the way.

I'd stick with Ati if you have Vista because of the driver issues with Nvidia.

Seagate or WD Hard drive.

Get a good quality PSU. I recommend silverstone. very solid. does SLI for dual graphics too

Get a decent motherboard. I have a gigabyte ds3, good for overclocking or regular, holds alot of ram and upgradeable. Not to the new ddr3 ram though. but thats pretty expensive right now. and its cheap.

All Ram is pretty equal, get what's on sale. Crosair, OCZ etc. 4gb ddr2 800

drive same. blu rays are cheap now, would be a great HTPC

Make it as cheap or as expensive as you want.

When you get into "gaming" pc's with brand names they charge out the ass for decent setups.

Falcon northwest and Alienware charge almost double what you can make it for with the same products. (I've done the math)

good luck

Really, anymore, any pc out there with intel core 2 duo processor will do fine since everything has 2gb of ram cause of vista.

I'm running a Dell Optiplex 745 with 2.4ghz intel core 2 duo and 2 gigs of ram with a plain jane intel integrated graphics card and the only time my machine lags is when i'm designing full color 4x8ft banners in photoshop lol

Our main hummer is a 3GHz Pentium 4 and I have a smoking hot video card with a lot of RAM on it. It all sits in a Thermaltake tower with quick install bays and a giant power supply and 7 variable speed fans. It came out at a time when serial ATA hard drives were not available but the motherboard will support it so I put a 7200 RPM HD in it and I have been very happy with the performance. The only thing I have had to do is to pull the side panel off to keep it cool enough.

If I could find something like that then I would go with it. It was $2500 4 years ago.

Yes, I am in the US, The Peoples Republic of California, to be exact.

Really, anymore, any pc out there with intel core 2 duo processor will do fine since everything has 2gb of ram cause of vista.

Yup - just look around, you'll find alot of deals out there still.  Some 2nd hand items are still excellent too - don't forget to look at the bargins.  If you've got an IT person in the family, they'll be able to sniff out decent hardware for you.

Don't skimp on the quality of the RAM - you'll be happier for it.

FYI - I've got a budget system here - all for $420AUD.  I had a leftover case from another PC, bought a mobo, CPU, 4GB ram, and a cheap yet high end video card.  Had a couple of drives lying around too.

my cutter dedicated computer has about $600 into it with the purchase of it.  I added 3 Gigs of ram and a Decent Video card, Plus a nice 22" Widescreen LCD Monitor!

Guest sciondrgn

my cutter pc is an old personal pc I built a while back,

1.7Ghz AMD Athalon,

1Gb Ram,

Asus A8V+ MB

Geforce4 128meg card

Run Illustrator and Flexi with no problems.. Not the fastest thing in the world but its stable and runs great!  Its about 3 years old now I think :thumbsup:

My new PC on the other hand is just for personal but I do video editing to on it so I needed something that screamed :thumbsup:

Guest fivestar

Asus A8V+ MB

One of the best mobo's I think ever made.  I built so many machines using that mobo and never have had one failure with them.

I would recommend building your own machine and going to newegg.com for all your parts.  You can't beat their prices, service, delivery.  Build it as big as you can afford.