Sign in to follow this  
tattooedguy

cutting super fine detail????

Hey guys I just got my copam 2500 last week, and I use it with a mac book, I love it, so far so good and although I was really scared with all the info from customers that said they couldn't get it to work..etc, I had little trouble getting mine up and running. Anyway I went to cut a airbrush mask tonight out of oracle vinyl, the design has a pinstripe that is extremely fine around the flames( see attached image) and tribal...etc anyway it seemed that it could handle 90% of the design yet on a few points it lifted the vinyl, as well as random places Thur out the design it would raise the vinyl and pull it back??? I am really hoping that this cutter can handle the precision that I demand from it, as this is a large reason I bought it, if not I will just have to design with that in mind. I paused the job and lowered the force to 40, it seemed to help, I am just not sure if my blade is to deep? or if I need to slow it down some more? I read in another post that somebody recommended a 60 degree blade?:thumbsup: and to slow the cutter down? Also no where in the manual did it reference the orientation of the blade when you put it into the holder??? how should the blade be facing when you put it in, or does it not matter? anyway I know a ton of questions but I figured I would post here instead of bugging the guys at the office, leave that for folks with real issues, I love this machine just need to figure things out  ;D

Blade spins freely on a 360 degree axis, so it turns the way it should when it enters the material.

Yes, a 60 degree blade may work better for the precision you are after. Might also have too much blade exposed from the blade holder.

Hey guys I just got my copam 2500 last week, and I use it with a mac book, I love it, so far so good and although I was really scared with all the info from customers that said they couldn't get it to work..etc, I had little trouble getting mine up and running. Anyway I went to cut a airbrush mask tonight out of oracle vinyl, the design has a pinstripe that is extremely fine around the flames( see attached image) and tribal...etc anyway it seemed that it could handle 90% of the design yet on a few points it lifted the vinyl, as well as random places Thur out the design it would raise the vinyl and pull it back??? I am really hoping that this cutter can handle the precision that I demand from it, as this is a large reason I bought it, if not I will just have to design with that in mind. I paused the job and lowered the force to 40, it seemed to help, I am just not sure if my blade is to deep? or if I need to slow it down some more? I read in another post that somebody recommended a 60 degree blade?:thumbsup: and to slow the cutter down? Also no where in the manual did it reference the orientation of the blade when you put it into the holder??? how should the blade be facing when you put it in, or does it not matter? anyway I know a ton of questions but I figured I would post here instead of bugging the guys at the office, leave that for folks with real issues, I love this machine just need to figure things out  ;D

With Oracle vinyl, I never have to increase the force setting from the minimum to get great cuts with my Copam.  Also, the blade just barely needs to be sticking out of the holder to cut Oracle.  I find that slowing down the cutting speed does help with fine details.  A blade with a low offset is what you really want for fine details.  I have both 45 and 60 blades, each having the same offset of 0.25, and they seem to perform the same for me.  Maybe others have a different experience, though.

My understanding of the angle of the blade is that it makes a difference on the thickness of the material.  Lower-angle blades can bind (get stuck in the material) when cutting through thicker materials, while higher-angle blades would avoid that issue.  I know the Roland makes 45 blades with an offset of 0.175, which is promoted for fine details and small characters.  The problem is finding them sold anywhere.  I just ensure that I buy all of my blades with a 0.25mm offset.