Ok so i've been cutting a lot of vinyl so i know kinda how to get it to not drift.

I am getting ready to start a pretty long job 8'....

What is the BEST wayt to get it right.

Loosen then tighten or vise versa? I have ton of movement on the 8' stuff like over an inch!

Is there a good way to get to get this right or is it just trial and error.

Oh I can't wait til someone has a good answer to this.  I really have a problem with this if I am using a scrap....or cutting when it isn't attached to the roll.....even if it is only 20 or 30 inches.

All I cal tell people is how it works for me.

I have all 3 rollers pretty tight.....I don't worry about it marking things up as they come out when you apply the vinyl.

I bring feed the vinyl about 2 feet through from the roll....then I drop my middle roller.  Then I roll all the slack vinyl back onto the roll until its tight.  This puills the whole sheet perfectly in line.  Drop both the side rollers...run some out and back in to check to be sure....then make sure you run out plenty so it doesn't unroll during the cut.  I have never had tracking issues (knock on wood) so far when using this method.

Hello

I am new here and new to vinyl cutting. I was having the same problem with vinyl drifting. I would spend a few putting the vinyl in and feeding it back and forth till it was guiding perfectly straight. It would still drift while cutting.

I cured the problem for about $20 at the hardware store. I bought 2 shelf rails and cut them to size. I double sticky taped them down on the front and back of the cutter. I then used 4 window track locks on the rails. I place the vinyl in the cutter and make sure it is as straight as I can get it. I then place the window locks up against the vinyl and secure them. It seems to work wonders and has cured my drifting problem so far. It even gave me a nice straight edge to cut the vinyl on when I am done cutting ;)

It may not be the right thing to do but I have a lot to learn. This was a quick fix so I can focus on other stuff for now.

Here is some pics taken with my cell phone.

guide1.jpg

guide2.jpg

guide3.jpg

All I cal tell people is how it works for me.

I have all 3 rollers pretty tight.....I don't worry about it marking things up as they come out when you apply the vinyl.

I bring feed the vinyl about 2 feet through from the roll....then I drop my middle roller.  Then I roll all the slack vinyl back onto the roll until its tight.  This puills the whole sheet perfectly in line.  Drop both the side rollers...run some out and back in to check to be sure....then make sure you run out plenty so it doesn't unroll during the cut.  I have never had tracking issues (knock on wood) so far when using this method.

Had a rep from Roland tell me to do just that and it will reduce/eliminate the problem. Works for me!