wdcisco

Second Day cutting - Is this normal?!

I am noticing the same problem as another user - weeding on a 7" vinyl bird took me half an hour - is this normal?

I had to use my exacto knife to cut the pieces of the bird still attached to the excess material (weed?) and when I try to weed away the material it pulls up the cut of the bird.

I am using Oracal 651 - (the good stuff) - can someone else try cutting the bird out - and let me know how long it takes to weed? and how difficult it was to pull up the excess? Thank you!

Attached is the .eps - I cut it out 7" wide and 6.749 inches long

I will also be calling USCutter tomorrow to troubleshoot it for me.

It's a LP 48"

16.EPS

16.EPS

Guest stunad, jr.

you may need to tweak your settings.  Adjust the pressure/blade/speed settings until you can see better progress.  No, 1/2 hour to weed that bird is not normal.  Once you get rolling, that should take about 20 seconds to weed. 

I am noticing the same problem as another user - weeding on a 7" vinyl bird took me half an hour - is this normal?

I had to use my exacto knife to cut the pieces of the bird still attached to the excess material (weed?) and when I try to weed away the material it pulls up the cut of the bird.

I am using Oracal 651 - (the good stuff) - can someone else try cutting the bird out - and let me know how long it takes to weed? and how difficult it was to pull up the excess? Thank you!

Attached is the .eps - I cut it out 7" wide and 6.749 inches long

I will also be calling USCutter tomorrow to troubleshoot it for me.

It's a LP 48"

When I was weeding it - I would use my weeding tool to pull apart the excess vinyl - and on almost every piece it would have to be pulled apart by hand or w/ my tool. I've seen others weed before - and the weed would come off so easily w/ out having to separate or finagle it by hand.

hmm...any tips? thanks for trying to help johnny.

you may need to tweak your settings.  Adjust the pressure/blade/speed settings until you can see better progress.   No, 1/2 hour to weed that bird is not normal.  Once you get rolling, that should take about 20 seconds to weed. 

whoa! 20 seconds? i would love to see that happen.

how would i go about changing the settings? i havent changed any of the settings except the speed - its around 50 right now.

Guest stunad, jr.

if it is leaving tabs that you need to cut yourself, you may need to change the blade offset in your cutting program.  It seems like it is not completing the cuts

Guest stunad, jr.

whoa! 20 seconds? i would love to see that happen.

believe me you will get to that point.  Just need to "tune it in" and you will be rolling at breakneck speed.  lol  :thumbsup:

if it is leaving tabs that you need to cut yourself, you may need to change the blade offset in your cutting program.  It seems like it is not completing the cuts

A few areas it did not complete the cut - had to use an exacto knife to reslice those areas - and it seemed like every other area was hard to weed - wouldn't pull apart - i am using flexi 8.1 - i am not sure how to adjust the settings in the sofware or the machine itself.

appreciate the help!  :thumbsup:

no, not those settings, the settings on ur cutter. have u properly set it, or do u know how?

Oops.

Well, I have fiddled w/ it a bit. Let me see...

ok, I pulled up something labeled 'press' on the machine display - is this what you're talking about? right now it is set at 100

sounds like we're getting somewhere... :thumbsup:

what do you recommend?

ok i have to leave now, but this is what i mean.

select online button to take cutter offline

press the mode button until u see the word PRESS+

change that number by pressing the plus sign on the bottom left of control pane to maybe 90 or try 110

press mode button again until u see SPEED

using the same button (minus sign) and set it to 40

press mode button until u see X=00 Y=00

now the round section of the control panel has a button in the center with a plus sign, PRESS IT.

then press ur online button and cut.

how this helps ya.

thanks so much nonabelle

i adjusted the settings to 115 and im gonna try the bird again

will let you guys know what happens :thumbsup:

The bird only took me 5-7 minutes to weed this time - adjusted the press to 115 - so that worked great, thanks nonabelle!

But now I have a new problem - (keep in mind, i'm using the exact same wXh as the last cut)

...some parts of the bird are coming out so wirey thin that it is either 1) too tiny to weed 2) so tiny that its not even there

i will post pictures later of the difference between both birds - im using a speed of 40 btw

anyone have any tips?

i'm glad to see you are getting the help you need. i just cut and weeded the bird took me 3 min and that includes taping it off. i am using a pcut with the  speed set to 60. all the paths are closed and it cut a weeded great. hope you can get your cutter set then you will love it.

practice, practice, practice and you will get it. just play with the settings so you get a feel for it. also make sure your blade height is set properly. set the blade so you can just barely see it sticking out from the holder. you can test it on a scrap piece without it even being in the cutter. score the vinyl using a fair amount of hand pressure. what you are looking for is the vinyl to be cut but not the backing.

thanks so much nonabelle

i adjusted the settings to 115 and im gonna try the bird again

will let you guys know what happens :thumbsup:

Nona..is 'da bomb'!  :thumbsup:

Thank you all for the help.

I did a bit of reading last night - and I discovered that my blade is sticking out way too far - I'm going to tinker w/ that a bit - the tutorial said to have the blade sticking out half the thickness of a credit card.

Heading to work - will keep you updated.

Thanks again!!  :thumbsup:

ur welcome alexander. :thumbsup: patience and this forum is the key to ur success in getting u to cutting like a pro. remember, u have to take a little time and get to know the machine which is also ur learning curve towards dialing in the right settings. u will get it, and once u do, u will be cutting and weeding ln no time, lol. keep us up to date, so that we can keep u going.  :thumbsup:

thanks jenny and lowone, u guys know, it takes da bombs to recognize da bomb. lmao!

just doing what it takes, cause i remember when... i didn't know either.