sprinter#5

Hello I am Sprinter#5 & Way too much of a beginner but trying! NEED HELP!!

:thumbsup: Hi there,

My name is John D. Hopkins (AKA Sprinter#5 {I race Sprint CARS}). I just got a USCUTTER Laser Point 48. I am trying to learn as much as I can as fast as I can so I can start to make some money with it. I welcome all info and suggestions...e-mail me if you have anything I can learn from you about this machine and making vinyl signs, please. jdhopkins69@hotmail.com ...

Thank You.

Sincerely,

John D. Hopkins

sprinter#5 :thumbsup:

Hi Sprinter ,

You have alot of stuff you can read thru in this forum . You should read the section that deals with your cutter & then the section dealing with whatever software you intend to use . If it is too much to read , do a search on what topic interests you the most .  :thumbsup: . Youtube has much info & seeing it helps alot . :thumbsup:

Thanks Rodger...I am trying to make sense of it all...i have a whole bunch of .eps graphics files that I cannot even open in SignBlazerElements. I open SBE...then i go to the file menu and select open...nothing happens...then I try to go to import and i get an error message that says memory error (this happens three times) then SBE tells me that an unrecoverable error has occured and SBE must close...end of story. Got any suggestions as to why this is? :thumbsup:

Thanks Rodger...I am trying to make sense of it all...i have a whole bunch of .eps graphics files that I cannot even open in SignBlazerElements. I open SBE...then i go to the file menu and select open...nothing happens...then I try to go to import and i get an error message that says memory error (this happens three times) then SBE tells me that an unrecoverable error has occured and SBE must close...end of story. Got any suggestions as to why this is? :thumbsup:

You might get away from that error by clicking on the file you want import and then clicking OK.  I have one PC that will crash everytime if I double-click on the file instead of doing it 'the long way'. Welcome to the forum and good luck in your endeavours!

I have read that problem with an answer before , but forget the answer  :thumbsup: . The search function is not the best or easiest , but that is what I do when I have a problem . There are several members who have a VERY good knowledge of SignBlazer ( Jay being 1 of them ) . While reading the SignBlazer section remember names & you can all of a member's posts from their profile .

Many things seem VERY difficult until an easy explanation   :thumbsup: . My problem is not using it enough to remember . I mainly make decals for myself .

Welcome, Johnny,

First, I don't think there's really a "fast" way to learn, if you want to do great work.  You can learn quickly how to do simple things, but when you get into different techniques, there is no substitute for experience.  There's a lot of different subtle things that go into the actual layout and design, and then the cutting/application itself is very much trial and error if you don't have someone with some experience to help.  We can do our best on the forums, but having someone sit with you and train you on different things is very helpful.  I first learned at a previous job at a sign shop.  You'll get into different surfaces, curved/flat, different textures, etc and learn techniques that work for you on them.  What techniques I may do on a specific job, may not work for you and vice versa.  You could ask 3 people here and get 3 different ideas on the same job.  Those are things that come with experience.

As far as getting business, you have a potentially awesome network in racing.  My opinion is that the best markets to get into are the ones you have experience and/or know people in.  You know about the drivers, the cars, the rules, etc as far as what's accepted.  Do as much work as you can on your own car, make it awesome, and soon other racers will be asking you "wow, who did that?".  Create and have printed some business cards, and always keep them with you.  Then when they ask, you hand it to them immediately.  Get established in the racing community and you could potentially get very busy.  Customers also like to do business with people they know or at least are into the same things.  A driver would probably have more trust in another driver working on his car vs. someone with no knowledge/interest in racing.  Know how much you will charge, because Question #2 will be "how much would you charge to...."  I did free/cheap stuff for close friends as I got started, which made it easier when I made mistakes.  And you will, it's part of learning.  It's just easiest if it's someone you know, who knows you're just starting.  They'll be more understanding than a stranger, you don't want to mess up on a stranger's job.

Start keeping an eye out when you go places, and see what you like or don't like about other people's work.  Incorporate what you like, and not what you don't.  Sounds simple, but if you look at something and think "that's hard to read" or whatever, trust your judgement.  You can learn a lot just by looking at store windows, banners, etc as you go about your daily travels.

My single most important advice I would offer, would be to start putting down as much vinyl as you can.  You'll learn even from small jobs. 

Robert

Hey...I just want to say that I am really impressed with the support that everyone has shown me. I never knew that the "community" would be this great...I should have started this before I was 42 friggin' years old! LOL. :thumbsup: I guess there's no better time than the one your in though. Make the best of what you got & right now I got 5 or 6 hundred files that I wish to open in this damn Sign Blazer Program...OUCH. :thumbsup:

easier to learn to walk before runing .. easier to learn to drive about anythimg besides a sprint car  :thumbsup: . As others have said , make decals & experience & the satisfaction will make the learning curve fun . Search for importing into SB  :thumbsup:

Don't use the open, try the import.  I have only cut 3 things so I am a still learning, & I am 55...God I feel old.

Peggy

Ok...update time.... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I cannot remember whom is responsible for this...however, I read a thread that suggested that I open the file in Adobe Illustrator and copy paste it into SBE...voila, I friggin' works.Thank you, thank you , :thumbsup:thank you.

Guest kenya

Rodger is absolutely right. READ, READ, and READ some more.

It will start to come together.

Guest round2racing

Don't use the open, try the import.  I have only cut 3 things so I am a still learning, & I am 55...God I feel old.

Peggy

Are you kidding?  I just started this about a month ago and have done an entire race car!!!!!  I feel like I put 20 years on!!!!!!!!

My mom always said that you are as old as you feel.

I told her my mind feels 20 and my body feels 80.